1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Sportsman of the Year running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Jul 13, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is where it's at. Sportsman of the Year is nothing but a sales vehicle anymore. Serena won't sell.

I'd figure on some as-yet-unclear NFL player who has RESCUED THE LEAGUE!!!!!! from its worst public-relations year ever. Maybe Andrew Luck?

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Perhaps it speaks to neither, but instead simply the fact that the sports world has changed with athletes being able to maintain peak form until much older than they used to. 33 years old does not mean the same thing today as it did in decades past.

3. Ok. But what about Venus?
    Or Federer, who's also 33?

Serena stands alone.

4. manky_jimy

manky_jimy Active Member

It will be Roger Goodell.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I would have laughed less if you had said Jeter

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

As I pointed out in the Wimbledon thread, Serena has very little "tennis mileage" on her for a 33 year old (who turns 34 in September).

She has played 845 singles matches. That's barely HALF as many as Navratilova played, and it's almost 200 fewer than Steffi played when she retired at age 30.

7. Ok ... That was exactly what to do with the fact she has a "Serena" slam and the inside track on a calendar slam?
    A calendar slam is something Navratilova never did.
    And Williams has what three more single major titles than Martina?
    Should she be penalized for playing less tennis but winning more majors?
    33 is 33. Maybe you can argue 33 is the new 28, hell 25, but Serena has NO equal right now. None. Not Sharapova.. Not anyone, regardless of age can stop her. She is an irresistible force. She is unrivaled. Undisputed. Again, 33 - or 25 - she is the most dominate player in the game right now. This is "inarguable among the sane." And she's still 33.
    The second-ranked player in the world has won two - 2! - of the last 19 matches against Serena.
    She wins the US Open - call it the Serena Williams Invitational for Second Place - she's a lock for SI.

Songbird likes this.
  8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A-Rod hits 35 HRs and wins World Series MVP to get the cover. It's Serena otherwise. Everyone's already forgotten that damn horse.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I certainly would not argue with Serena but she will never be a lock. She's a tennis player and this isn't 1975 anymore. Casual sports fans can name three female tennis players, and two of them are sisters.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Never said that. Quit adding 1+1 and getting 11.

You made a big deal about her being 33(!). I only pointed out that she has the "match fatigue" of a typical 28-year-old, which in large part has enabled her to remain at this level at age 33.

Never said she should be "penalized" for it (again, just your stupid imagination in hyperdrive). Only was providing some perspective regarding her age. Her accomplishments are awesome because of what they are, not because of her age.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not so sure the casual fan needs to know the plethora of Russian and Bulgarians etc etc, they do know that Serena is the most dominating force in the world. She's got Jordan-like shine.

cjericho likes this.
  12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My point is more that no one cares, and in the public consciousness Serena's in the unfair position where only her rare failures are noteworthy. Her domination would mean more if Americans still cared about tennis.

Again, I'd have no problem if Serena won. She's an amazingly dominant player. She just can't be considered a lock playing a sport no one follows.

Draft saved Draft deleted