1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Sportsman of the Year running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Want to make a bet Serena gets more votes than any baseball or basketball player?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

If it comes down to it, I doubt it goes to a player rather than the whole women's team. The team is what people will remember and there are more stories with the full team.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And it's worth noting that the reason why Arthur Ashe won it didn't have a damn to do with playing tennis, instead it was essentially about him having AIDS and being a standup guy about it. Another example of SI trying to out-clever itself with its choice.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that for the women's World Cup team to win it, they'd have to repeat a World Cup title, or even three-peat. The '99 team got it because it was really the first time a U.S. team of any sex/gender had won a major international soccer championship like that, and on American soil, no less. I don't follow it closely because I hate it, but this time it was basically one of the best teams in the world won the Cup. That's not enough, to me.

Curry would be a nice selection most years, but not in a year with a Triple Crown winner, a Tiger Slam in women's tennis, and a 21-year-old American with a shot at the calendar Slam in golf.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

A Tiger Slam in tennis makes me think of an unspeakable act involving a racket and a waitress.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We appreciate the input (seriously). I'll print this thread out and take it to the first meeting in several months.

Right now, at least in the mind of one person fairly high up the food chain (but not all THAT high), the choice is obvious. But there's a lot of year left. A whole lot.

And no, I won't share that choice. I mean this person won't share that choice. So much can change with almost half the year left.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Don't know that you can sell Scherzer against this competition, Moddy.

PCLoadLetter and Dick Whitman like this.
  10. When Hershiser won in '88 that was the year he set the scoreless inning mark, right? That's pretty impressive.

Graf was like 21 when she won the slam.
    Serena is 33.
    33! That's ancient by tennis standards. No 33-year-old should be crushing the field the way she has. She has no equal. And No rival. And she's about seven years past her prime.
    I don't know if that's a testament to her or a argument for the decline of the state of women's tennis... Prolly both, but damn!!!
    She wins the US Open (she's only won the last three) I think the award is her's to lose.

One more worth mention ... Ronda Rousey.

So ... Caitlyn Jenner?

Songbird likes this.
  11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Actually, Steve Cauthen, who rode Affirmed to the Triple Crown in 1978, won the award the year before.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

If Serena and Spieth win their respective slams, I think SI would give it to them both. They've had more than one honoree before.

Of course, they still have accomplish the feats. I think Spieth has a tougher road than Serena.

Draft saved Draft deleted