1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Sportsman of the Year running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Yes, it's only halfway through the year, but as opposed to a lot of recent previous years where there wasn't a lot of standout candidates for SI's Sportsman of the Year, we already have a good number of candidates with some strong, sometimes history making performances this year:

1. American Pharaoh -- expecting the 'but it's a horse' comment within the first 5 posts
    2. Serena Williams -- won the last four majors, going for the calendar slam
    3. Jordan Spieth -- a win at the British or the PGA would strengthen his resume
    4. USWNT - first World Cup in 16 years.

And if Ohio State has a strong fall as expected, you could probably throw Urban Meyer in the mix.

Who else? Or who's your preference of these? Figure this might be worth generating some board activity during the annual down days of sports during the All Star break.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pharoah will get it but I'd go with Serena if she Slams out.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

#Important

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Probably the whole American Pharoah team: American Pharoah, Victor Espinoza, Baffert, and the Zayats.

If it's the soccer team, I'm going to lose my shit.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bryce Harper, youngest player to hit the triple crown and 1 of the youngest MVPs in history.

6. If Serena completes the calendar slam, she'd be my pick too.
    Speith is only considered if does he slam as well. Good pick any other year, but compared to a 33-year-old Serena Williams and AP? No.
    I think it comes down to Serena and American Pharaoh ... Yeah, a two-horse race. ;) (don't tell JK Rowling on me!) The Triple Crown is impressive by AP's achievement left me flat and well short of the being the feat accomplished by Secretariat, Seattle Slew and Affirmed.

Like Dick, I'd also loose it if its the soccer team. But I wouldn't be surprised.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Caitlyn Jenner.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Right now, it's Pharoah, Serena, Carli Lloyd and Steph Curry, probably in that order.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Steph Curry has to be near the top of this conversation. In only about a 10 month period he led Team USA to the Gold Medal at the hoops World Cup, led the Warriors to their first NBA championship in four decades, and won the League MVP Award (and also won the 3 point contest at the All Star game). A year can't get much better than that.

That said, I fully expect SI to give it to the horse (and if not the horse a woman's soccer player), because SI is always trying out-clever itself with a "unique" angle on these things.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Think these responses are where I come in. Pharoah, who could be upended by a Speith or Serena slam. If they both complete the slam, who do you go for of the two? I say Speith.

If they go the entire World Cup team, I hope they get reaction from Solo's half sister and nephew.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If you're going to vote for a horse you may as well vote for a car.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So I guess we can cross Tom Brady's name off the list, eh?

Draft saved Draft deleted