1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 1, 2015.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Observer from Jan. 12:

- The Network is now scheduled for a Jan. 19 launch in the UK. It’s more expensive than in the states, as 9.99 pounds is equal to $15.28 a month, and the price is higher in Ireland. The UK is seen as the strongest remaining potential market.

- New Japan Wrestle Kingdom 9, the show Ross announced, got 100 percent approval from readers, with thumbs-up from 373. However, a lot of interested viewers reporting having trouble ordering it via PPV, and none of the cable systems used house advertising on it, instead choosing to advertise a replay of a UFC event.

- It’s believed that New Japan has either purchased a controlling interest in NOAH, or they’re heavily funding them to keep them afloat, a la the end of ECW with the WWE/WWF. Hence the talent exchanges.

- NXT is pushing to move to Wednesdays, so they wouldn’t compete with Smackdown. That would put them in competition with Lucha Underground.

- TNA has signed or re-signed Eddie Edwards, Davey Richards, Abyss, Ken Anderson, Madison Rayne, Eric Young, Jessie Godderz and Ethan Carter III. Angle is also expected to be transitioning from his authority role back to an in-ring wrestlers. They’re repeatedly tried to get Alberto Del Rio, but he hasn’t shown much interest.

- AAA is off until March, and it’s believed they are rebooting the project, similar to what TNA is doing.

- ROH contracts for Mike Bennett and Maria have expired, and they’re on per-date contracts now. It’s believed that both might have interest from TNA and Lucha Underground.

- They have win-loss records for the year for WWE performers. Aksana went 5-53. Justin Gabriel went 3-53, and Hornswaggle went 1-43. Jinder Mahal 1-47, Drew McIntyre 1-53, Rosa Mendes 2-30. Best win percentage? Well, the legendary Torito, of course. 49-3. Cena had the most wins, with 148, followed by the Uso brothers. Cesaro was the WWE’s Iron Man, wrestling in 218 matches. Daniel Bryan won the title in 2013, wrestling in 227, and past winners were Sheamus (2012), Randy Orton (2011), Kofi Kingston (2010) and CM Punk (2008 and 2009).

- Val Venis now runs the Purple Haze Lounge in Arizona, which is a place for people to gather who have doctor’s cards for medicinal marijuana.

- NXT diva Devin Taylor (real name Brittany Fetkin) was eliminated in the debut episode of this season’s Bachelor.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I vaguely remember the Jinder and McIntyre wins. I'm assuming they mean all matches, whether singles or tag, or multi-person. It was a six-man on Raw where they beat the Matadores and Torito with Hornswoggle's help.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Hornswoggle only won one match. I know he's been working heel, but I'd have figured he won a few of those goofy six-man tags that randomly pop up from time to time.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Apparently not! Meltzer mentioned that for house shows, they usually go very heavy on the faces beating heels, which explains some of the win percentages. Like almost none of the heels have a win percentage over .500.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Roman Reigns is given a promo that includes the phrase "sufferin' succotash," pulls it off, brags about pulling it off, then breaks the fourth wall by winking at the camera. SmackDown, ladies and gentlemen. It's like they assume no one is watching anymore.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Now it's reported the spot actually turned out exactly as planned, and Hardy wasn't legitimately hurt. They just did that to write him out of storylines since he won't be able to tour the UK next month.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/542035-jeff-hardy-tna-injury-not-legitimate

7. Baron Scicluna

There's a right way to break the fourth wall and a wrong way. The right way either furthers a storyline along in a way that fans of all backgrounds can understand without saying "what is he talking about?" or is a harmless little thing that doesn't disturb the overall flow of the show and is recognized by a few as a fun little nod to them.

The right way: CM Punk

The wrong way: Vince Russo

8. Baron Scicluna

Savage is in the Hall. Just Savage. no Leaping Lanny.

Finally.

9. Baron Scicluna

OK, as much as it's become a pain in the ass for them to end every show with a talk segment, that one was really good.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The idea of some tension between Rollins and Lesnar makes me really interested in this triple.

Ambrose was great in his skits. Reigns was laugh out loud bad.

The degree to which Bryan is the most over guy in the company right now is insane. It was almost silent when Cena came out for the "main event" and it seems like being run down by HHH is making his crowd reaction even worse than it usually is.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

In fairness, Cena had already been out and got his pop earlier in the night.
    I enjoyed RAW last night. Ambrose and Rollins are seriously way farther along in their development than I thought either would be at this point. They're both EASILY main event caliber stars now and it's incredible to see their progression.
    Reigns? Eh. I'm not as down on his promo as others. Yes, it was bad. But he delivered it well, which is something for him. I think the terrible writing of it has more to do with why it sucked. He actually briefly showed some of his personality last night which is a major step forward.
    Speaking of personality, while I can do without her needless screaming in the ring, I'm really digging the glimpses of Paige they've shown lately. She seems like a lot of fun and, if given the proper push, could really refresh the Divas division.
    I agree with those of you above that said the triple threat is actually really interesting and I'm actually looking forward to Rumble as it looks like a solid card. Been a while since i've been able to say that about a non NXT show.

12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Imagine where Randy Savage the wrestling icon would've been if he became Randy Poffo the major leaguer.

[​IMG]

JRoyal and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted