1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Pro Football Fall of Fame Nominees UPDATED with Semifinalists on Page 3

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If you're arguing that Switzer was a passable pro coach, you've lost me right there. All I'm saying is that your argument that bc Caldwell did not as well but close, casts aspersions on dungy is silly.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree. But Coryell retired/got fired in 1986. The longer the gap, the harder it becomes to get votes because some of the voters forget or overlook how good you were. Coryell never got to a Super Bowl, IIRC, even though I loved the San Diego offenses of the early 1980s.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'm talking about legacy. Whether you like it or not (I don't), today's pass-happy NFL is the one Coryell ordained.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

Caldwell is a terrible coach. I think as much as we all disagree on football here, many would agree on that.
    He was along for the ride in Indianapolis, and when his and Dungy's meal ticket got hurt, the team was disastrous.
    Switzer- what can I say. I don't agree with you. He coached a bunch of addicts and babies in Dallas who quit on him at the end.

5. Guy_Incognito

But I disagree with your fundamental point. The fact that a bad coach can come in and succeed with your players that you lead to success to me is a positive. They were so well coached that they ran on fumes, momentum and muscle memory for a while and even Caldwell couldn't screw it up.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

The Colts were a veteran team led by one of the greatest players in the history of the league.
    Humpty Dumpty could have coached that team, at that moment in time, to 10-11 wins a year.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Are you saying that isn't true of Switzer's Cowboys?

He was one of the 500 coaches who could have won with that team.

8. Guy_Incognito

Fine, but caldwells success doesn't detract from dungy. There's plenty to detract from dungy, but that's not it.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

Yes, the Jones hyperbole uttered at a drunken party and that led to the messy breakup.

10. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Only one of those is a legit Hall of Fame candidate.

(It's No. 4)

11. Guy_Incognito

Those really are not great ways to judge a coach because you reward the Phil Jackson approach to selecting your next job (until the Knicks of course; I don't mean follow the money).

Draft saved Draft deleted