1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Pro Football Fall of Fame Nominees UPDATED with Semifinalists on Page 3

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 17, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Re: 2015 Pro Football Fall of Fame Nominees

I wouldn't discount that at all as a factor.
    Many editorial cartoons of that slice of time in the 90s depict Modell stereotypically, including with exaggerated proboscis.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Don't look now but Alex Smith's team has exactly the same record as the 49ers and is playing some very good football notwithstanding a close loss to the Niners on the road.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm far from a Kaepernick fan, but I think it's foolish for people to second-guess that trade. They got a lot for a guy who most people thought they would just have to release.

With Reid in Kansas City, it's hardly a surprise that Smith has done well.

It's interesting when you're covering a team and the local narrative is different than the national narrative.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Here are the 26 semifinalists as there was a tie for the 25th spot. There were eight first-timers. And one name I am very surprised made it. Cut to 15 is next

Morten Andersen
    Steve Atwater
    Jerome Bettis
    Tim Brown
    Isaac Bruce
    Don Coryell
    Roger Craig
    Terrell Davis
    Tony Dungy
    Kevin Greene
    Charles Haley
    Marvin Harrison
    Torry Holt
    Joe Jacoby
    Edgerrin James
    Jimmy Johnson
    Mike Kenn
    Ty Law
    John Lynch
    Kevin Mawae
    Karl Mecklenburg
    Orlando Pace
    Junior Seau
    Will Shields
    Kurt Warner
    Darren Woodson

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Pace and Seau are the only sure things. Maybe Shields.

Would like to see Haley get in just for the entertainment value.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Warner should be a sure thing.

/takes cover

7. RecoveringJournalist

Seau is 100 percent. Pace is 99 percent. I think Harrison should go in, but you never know how they're going to treat receivers and Harrison had off-the-field issues, so I'm guessing he waits.

Shields should be in by now, but he's been penalized because other linemen are up for induction at the same time. He'll get in eventually.

Warner will get in. I've come around on him. A writer, who is on the HOF committee explained it to me a few years ago and said, "You can't compare him to anyone else who has gone in because nobody ever had the ups and downs and ups in their career and gotten in, but you can't overthink it with Warner." I know another guy who is on the HOF committee who has said in the past that Warner will get in "over his dead body" but I tend to think people will vote overwhelmingly for Warner because he's one of the coolest success stories in NFL and perhaps sports history.

It's almost the equivalent of Vince Papale winning a MVP and a Super Bowl. It could be this year since quarterbacks rarely have to wait.

There's no name on that list that surprises me.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Tony Dungy = Phil Rizzuto

9. RecoveringJournalist

I think his Michael Sam comments from earlier this year guarantee Dungy isn't getting in this year, just like I'm guessing some may think this might not be the best year to induct Charles Haley.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Don Coryell has meant more to the NFL than Tony fkn Dungy.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Dungy was a one-dimensional, underachieving coach who failed to win half his playoff games. The Bucs quit on him.

12. RecoveringJournalist

If they want to put him in by saying, "Well, he did this and that to help minorities in the NFL." then I'm OK with that.

If they're trying to make us think he's worthy based solely on what he did as a coach, the list that should get in before him is a long one.

Draft saved Draft deleted