1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Pro Football Fall of Fame Nominees UPDATED with Semifinalists on Page 3

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Re: 2015 Pro Football Fall of Fame Nominees

Harrison was a first-year guy last year and made it to the final 10. He will get in this year.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

My bad, I completely missed that. You're probably right that they will put him in this year or next because with Owens and Moss coming up, there could be a bit of a logjam.

3. Morris816

Morris816 Member

I'm not entirely convinced. You still have Tim Brown on the ballot and he's made the finalists several times, and now here come Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce. I would not be surprised to see none of the four make it this year.

4. Della9250

There is already a logjam with Harrison, Brown, Bruce and to a lesser extent Holt.

5. Della9250

One of the four is getting in. Those voters just went through the Carter-Reed-Brown fiasco for almost a decade. They won't let it happen again. And Brown won't block Harrison. Both made the final 15 last year with Reed. Brown didn't survive the first cut. Harrison didn't make the final five. Reed made it in.

The voters showed they view Harrison over Brown already. They aren't going to change that in the next vote. Bruce and Holt have no shot of getting in this year, most significantly because they are first ballot. The voters make receivers wait.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Harrison is the best of those four by a lot. Brown has been a finalist enough times that one would think he eventually gets in. I think Holt and Bruce both eventually get in.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I thought I remember reading that the only receivers to get in on the first ballot were Rice, Berry, Largent, Alworth, Warfield and Hutson.

That seems hard to believe, but I can't think of anyone else, at least not modern era.

8. Della9250

The only first ballot receivers:

2010 Rice
    1995 Largent
    1983 Warfield
    1978 Alworth
    1973 Berry

9. RecoveringJournalist

Hutson was first ballot. He was in the inaugural class.

10. Della9250

First ballot guys are designated once the Hall went to the finalist setup in 1970. The Hall does not count Hutson has a first-ballot guy because of the initial setup to the Hall of Fame and the way they voted from 63-69.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Sure he went 0-4, but don't you think getting to four bowls should put Reeves in? He was an excellent coach for 23 years and also went to three more as an assistant.

Marv Levy's in, he's gotta be in.

12. RecoveringJournalist

OK, that makes sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted