1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Pro Football Fall of Fame Nominees UPDATED with Semifinalists on Page 3

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

113 total -- 99 players, 14 coaches -- to be whittled to 25.

15 first-timers -- Warner, Bruce, Holt, James, Lewis, Jansen, Mawae, Pace, Samuels, Thomas, Kearse, Seau, Law, Springs, Elam

Quarterbacks: (4) – Randall Cunningham, Rich Gannon, Phil Simms, Kurt Warner

Wide Receivers: (9) – Tim Brown (also KR), Isaac Bruce, Gary Clark, Henry Ellard (also PR), Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith

Tight End: (1) – Mark Bavaro

Running Backs: (14) – Shaun Alexander, Ottis Anderson, Tiki Barber, Jerome Bettis, Roger Craig, Stephen Davis, Terrell Davis, Eddie George, Priest Holmes, Edgerrin James, Daryl Johnston, Jamal Lewis, Herschel Walker (also KR), Ricky Watters

Offensive Linemen: (23) – Willie Anderson (T), Tony Boselli (T), Jeff Bostic (C), Lomas Brown (T), Jim Covert (T), Bill Fralic (G/T), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Jon Jansen (T), Mike Kenn (T), Jim Lachey (T), Kevin Mawae (C/G), Mark May (G/T/C),Tom Nalen (C), Nate Newton (G), Orlando Pace (T), Chris Samuels (T), Mark Schlereth (G), Will Shields (G), Tra Thomas (T), Steve Wisniewski (G)

Defensive Linemen: (12) – Al “Bubba” Baker (DE), Jerome Brown (DT), Carl Hairston (DE/DT), Charles Haley (also LB), Jevon Kearse (DE), Dexter Manley (DE), Charles Mann (DE), Steve McMichael (DT/NT), Fred Smerlas (NT), Greg Townsend (DE), Ted Washington (DT/NT), Bryant Young (DE)

Linebackers: (13) – Cornelius Bennett, Tedy Bruschi, Kevin Greene (also DE), Ken Harvey, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest (also DE), Karl Mecklenburg, Matt Millen, Sam Mills, Junior Seau, Chris Spielman, Darryl Talley, Zach Thomas

Defensive Backs: (16) – Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Thomas Everett (S), Rodney Harrison (S), Ty Law (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), John Lynch (S), Terry McDaniel (CB), Tim McDonald (S), Frank Minnifield (CB), Shawn Springs (CB), Troy Vincent (CB/S), Everson Walls (CB), Darren Woodson (S)

Kickers/Punters: (5) – Morten Andersen (K), Gary Anderson (K), Jason Elam (K), Sean Landeta (P), Nick Lowery (K)

Special Teams/Position Players: (2) – Brian Mitchell (RB/PR/KR), Steve Tasker (also WR)

Coaches: (14) – Don Coryell, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Tom Flores, Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Richie Petitbon, Dan Reeves, Lou Saban, Marty Schottenheimer, Clark Shaughnessy, Dick Vermeil

If I had to guess at the 25 semifinalists: Kurt Warner, Tim Brown, Isaac Bruce, Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Jerome Bettis, Terrell Davis, Joe Jacoby, Kevin Mawae, Orlando Pace, Will Shields, Steve Wisniewski, Charles Haley, Fred Smerlas, Ted Washington, Kevin Greene, Junior Seau, Zach Thomas, Steve Atwater, Ty Law, John Lynch, Morten Andersen, Don Coryell, Tony Dungy, Dan Reeves

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: 2015 Pro Football Fall of Fame Nominees

Have to narrow that list to 25. I will give it a shot.

Kurt Warner
    Tim Brown
    Issaac Bruce
    Torry Holt
    Marvin Harrison
    Roger Craig
    Jerome Bettis
    Terrell Davis
    Eddie George
    Willie Anderson
    Will Shields
    Steve Wisniewski
    Orlando Pace
    Charles Haley
    Joe Jacoby
    Junior Seau
    Kevin Green
    Clay Matthews
    Karl Mecklenburg
    Steve Atwater
    John Lynch
    Morten Anderson
    Tony Dungy
    Don Coryell
    Dick Vermeil

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

is that who you believe will be the 25 or who you feel deserve it? If Dungy gets in, Flores better get in. Dan Reeves had a better career than Dungy.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It will not surprise me if Dungy's Michael Sam comments prevent him from getting as far as he did last year.

Seau is a first-ballot lock. Pace probaby is as well.

I don't know how Harrison will be treated. I will be a little surprised if he gets in on the first try, but it could happen.

Warner is a really interesting one. They don't usually make QBs wait.

5. RecoveringJournalist

There are a lot of coaches on that list who I would put in before Dungy.

6. RecoveringJournalist

James is going to be an interesting one to watch as well. He's not going in this year, and probably has a pretty long wait if he ever gets in, especially based on how long Bettis has had to wait.

James and Fred Taylor are at the top of a long list of RBs who could be considered borderline Hall of Famers, but in all likelihood, will not get in.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Tony Dungy won 40 more games and lost 15 fewer than Tom Flores, but Flores won two Super Bowls, one more than Dungy. The funny thing is - neither Flores nor Dungy are hailed as innovators. Monte Kiffin gets most of the credit for the Tampa Two. As much as I like both of them, Don Coryell probably should go in ahead of either of them.

8. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Warner will probably get in on the first ballot, because the thinking among the current HOF voters seems to be that, if you were a QB who deserves to go to the HOF, you should go in immediately. I'm sure Warner will get a fair amount of debate when the finalists are discussed, but if I'm not mistaken, that was also the case with Warren Moon, and he got in on the first ballot.

I still think Terrell Davis should get in before Jerome Bettis does.

The WRs probably split the votes again.

Orlando Pace is HOF worthy but I wonder if Will Shields takes some votes away from him.

Agreed that Junior Seau will go in on the first ballot.

As a Bronco fan, I will say this: If you are going to put a Bronco safety among your finalists, Steve Atwater is a better candidate than John Lynch.

Interesting that Dan Reeves was brought up. I'm not entirely convinced that Reeves is HOF worthy, but I agree with those who said he had a better overall coaching career than Tony Dungy.

If I had a ballot and whittled it down to five, it would probably go like this: Warner, Davis, Pace, Seau, and Charles Haley.

9. RecoveringJournalist

I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but I would put Holmgren, Reeves and possibly Jimmy Johnson in over Dungy.

Holmgren won't get in because Ron Wolf gets the bulk of the credit for the Green Bay resurgence and Holmgren had mixed results in Seattle, even though, with the exception of his final season, his Seattle stint wasn't the disaster that some like to pretend that it was.

Reeves, for all his success, is best remembered as a guy who didn't use Elway correctly and went 0-4 in the Super Bowl. Johnson didn't do it long enough.

10. RecoveringJournalist

It would be really bad timing for the NFL to have Haley go in this year.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't know if Warner got the most out of the least, but if a player deserves to be a Hall of Famer for so wildly exceeding expectations with personal and team success, it is Warner.

12. RecoveringJournalist

This is the way Warner's HOF candidacy was explained to me by someone who is a voter.

Don't try to compare him to anybody. Don't pick apart his career and see that he only had six good seasons and spent the middle portion of his career as a backup. Based on what he did in St. Louis and what he did in Arizona, he is a Hall of Famer.

I really think that is the way you have to look at Warner.

Draft saved Draft deleted