1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 PGA Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Aug 12, 2015.

1. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

What a charge by Speith; he's craming a career of charges in one year; amazing...if he does it, Day is going to feel like Els to Woods

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Guy shoots 20 under in a major and no comments?

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

If not for that bout with vertigo back at the U.S. Open, we might be talking about Day as the best player in golf right now, and not Spieth.

4. Certainly makes a strong argument. Day has been knocking on the door for the last few years. Glad to finally see him open it.
    I don't think he'll be the next Ben Hogan and win five, six or seven majors, but I think he can bag a few more. He's had a lot of top five finishes at majors and could certainly lay claim to one of the best in the world.

As for his score. Nice, but I think it's also exaggerated ... by the new trend to craft short, par 4 holes. Dottie Pepper tweeted these guys are basically starting each day 2 or 3-under. She's right.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The "highest" winning score at a PGA Championship in the last 30 years is three under, typical winning score is somewhere between 8 and 12 under.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Let's not overlook Spieth's year. First, first, tie for fourth, and second in the four majors respectively. For a 21-year-old, that is amazing.

Looks like we now know the Big 3 for the next decade or so: Spieth, Rory and Day. They could be joined by any number of guys: Fowler, Bubba Watson, Keegan Bradley, etc.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And calling his British finish a "tie for fourth" really misses the point that he was one stroke out of the playoff. I can't imagine I'll see a better year of performances in the majors the rest of my life.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's the Jason Day Era now.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Double Down likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wow, did CBS balllick Spieth or what? Even when Day first reached 20 under, they barely mentioned it...as opposed to when Spieth did it earlier this year and the broadcaster when gonzo about "tying the record."

At one point, Fehrety or someone said "we are living in Justin Spieth's world" and then they cut to Day, who at the time was 4 ahead of Spieth, and they muttered something about Day playing well, too. Good grief.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Spieth was completing one of the most remarkable seasons ever, so he deserved to be praised for it, but it was very clear all CBS personnel woke up Sunday prepped to announce a Spieth victory. Funny thing. Back when Greg Norman was world number one for eons, nobody gave a rat's ass about the world rankings. Now, they're treated as just as or more important than who wins a damn major.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

For the most part, it was a boring day of golf and a course which was a bit too easy. Every time that it looked like Jordan would be in a position to make the rest of the round interesting, Day slammed the door or Jordan didn't make the shot.

CBS knows where its bread is buttered, but they should have dialed it back a bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted