1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Oscars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cranberry, Jan 15, 2015.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Regular awards are presented for outstanding individual or collective film achievements in a wide variety of categories. Most categories are nominated by the members of the corresponding branch–actors nominate actors, film editors nominate film editors, etc...

All voting members are eligible to select the Best Picture nominees.

http://www.oscars.org/oscars/voting

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe Oprah can have a show where she gives everyone in the audience an Oscar.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Good info, ifilus, thanks. I stand corrected on the line about "the same people are aware …"

I stand by the second paragraph, though.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Oprah take an Oscar up her #2 hole.

A million to one shot!

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I liked it, but I also liked Treme, another sort of slice of life show in which not a lot of big momentous things happened. I think Boyhood's appeal is that it hit certain people emotionally certain ways. I don't think it should win best picture, because there needs to be more than just emotional impact. But I really enjoyed it.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

In theory, I've got no problem with non-narrative movies. 'Tree of Life' springs to mind. I thought that was an incredibly interesting movie.
    But 'Boyhood' had no narrative but the vignettes didn't seem to fit in any meaningful way.
    It just didn't work for me. I didn't get any satisfaction of seeing this boys life presented as a film/video photo album.
    Maybe because there was no real sense of the character. I don't want to look at a photo album of someone I don't know.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Boyhood knocked me for a loop emotionally. Never saw it coming.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Boom, you only liked it because it got a good review in National Review.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The weakest part of Boyhood was the kid himself. Not a very good actor. But I guess that's the chance you take when you commit to casting a kid when he's 6. Not like you can start over midway through.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Agree completely.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That's what made the Harry Potter series so impressive. Some combination of great, forward looking casting, or more likely, a lot of luck. Very little in the way of Tina Yothers syndrome.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, got to think there's a lot of luck involved. Look at Mad Men, they got a future Oscar winner in Kiernan Shipka but are also on, what, the 10th or s0 Bobby Draper.

Draft saved Draft deleted