1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Oscars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cranberry, Jan 15, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That was my favorite movie that year and probably pretty high on my all-time list.

I watched it a couple days after Philip Seymour Hoffman died. Such a spectacular performance.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I just saw Selma and have to agree: I. didn't buy Oyelowo as MLK. I thought he gave it a hell of a try but didn't look or sound enough like him. Or maybe he lacked the physical presence. I'm not sure. By no means was he bad, but not once did I even for a second think, "wow, he has MLK nailed." There were a bunch of shots of him in profile or from below or a strange angle, which made me wonder if the director had some awareness of this. So I can totally see Selma getting a Best Picture nod, but Oyelowo not getting a Best Actor nomination. (FWIW, I'm not sure I bought Tom Wilkinson as LBJ either.)

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think the question is even broader than I initially even gave credit for … it goes beyond Oyelowo. Selma is one of the best eight films of the year, yet not a single person involved in the film was recognized among the best of the year except Common and John Legend for best original song.

Selma didn't have anyone among the five best directors, cinematographers, actors, actresses, supporting actors, supporting actresses, screenplay writers, costume designers, production designers, editors, sound editors, sound mixers or visual effects. So if no one involved in the film was among the five best in any category besides Common and John Legend, how in the hell did the film as a whole get counted among the eight best of the year? That must be one hell of a great song.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bennett Miller was nominated for Best Director but Foxcatcher was not named as a Best Picture nominee. What was the racist reason for that?

American Sniper was nominated for Best Picture but Clint Eastwood was not nominated for Best Director. Clint is black?

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just saw 'Foxcatcher.'
    Good, creepy, interesting.

The make-up and prosthetics for Carrell were distracting. Should've just cast someone older looking.
    Carrell wasn't bad, but he looked like hsimefl in makup.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, Foxcatcher is a strange one... Good film, super creepy. Carell is great.

I think it's interesting that Tatum wasn't mentioned for any awards. He's great in the movie and quite convincing playing someone who is troubled and unsure of himself.

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I was surprised Ruffalo was nominated rather than Tatum.

Watched Boyhood a few days ago. I liked it, but I don't think it's as good as Whiplash or Grand Budapest Hotel. I think it escaped some criticism (did it really have to be that long?) because of the novelty of using the same cast over time.

8. RecoveringJournalist

I hope Whiplash gets more momentum for best picture.

I can't see the Academy voting for American Sniper. If Selma wins after not being nominated for best director or in any of the acting categories, it will seem strange.

At this point, I kind of think Boyhood will win best picture.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I just watched 'Boyhood,' and I don't get the appeal.
    If you toss away the gimmick of filming the cast over the 12-year period as they age, there's nothing there.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the film yet, so I can't really comment on who is deserving or not, but I would have to think for a lot of those non-acting, non-directing categories how well you campaign has to have a lot to do with it and I've read they did a poor job getting DVD screeners and other campaign material out.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Same here. I haven't seen it, so I can't say anyone involved in the film deserves a nomination. But I don't really buy the DVD screener explanation, because enough people saw it for the film to garner a best picture nod. Presumably, those same people are aware of the acting, directing, cinematography, editing, sound mixing, production design and costume design.

It seems to me, that if, in fact, the film merited only one other nomination, then the film is likely not deserving of a best picture nomination. If it is deserving of a best picture nomination, then recent history certainly shows it's not just unusual, it's downright unheard of for a biopic best picture nominee to get shut out of all the of the other categories.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I would just think that if you are in a category where most of the nominees have little to no name recognition you have to get your name out there to get the votes and from what I read the Selma people didn't do a good job of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted