1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Oscars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cranberry, Jan 15, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I wasn't saying his performance was lackluster. I haven't seen the film. I was responding to RecoveringJournalist's assessment of Oyelowo's performance and asking how the film overcame it to become a best picture nominee. I noted in the following graph that he may have simply delivered the sixth-best performance.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

First time since 1998 that no African Americans were nominated in any of the acting categories.

3. bigpern23

Exactly, RJ. A biopic is just a different animal when it comes to the Oscars because the film is so centrally based on that particular character. Hell, how many films overall have been nominated for best picture without receiving a single nomination in the acting and directing categories?

4. RecoveringJournalist

I'll be curious what others think of Selma after they see it. With all of the great movies that are out I was annoyed with myself for choosing to see that over Birdman and The Theory of Everything.

5. bigpern23

A friend of mine who saw an advanced screening came out of it saying every American should see it. So I've seen a pretty varied reaction to it so far. I'm interested to see it and judge for myself.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I haven't seen 'Selma.' I just think you can have a best picture without a best actor or actress.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm shocked by 'The Theory of Everything.' I didn't think much of it.

8. RecoveringJournalist

Absolutely. But when it's a biopic, I think that changes things a bit because the film usually hinges on the lead performances.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. bigpern23

It will become more common now with the expanded field for Best Picture. I still think it's incredibly difficult to do for a biopic.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I liked the movie but don't think it deserves a Best Picture nomination.

11. RecoveringJournalist

If anything, there are a lot of biopics that aren't that good, but the lead performance is spectacular.

Lincoln comes to mind. DiCaprio in J. Edgar. I thought the Aviator was great, as was Leo's performance.

Capote is probably my favorite biopic performance.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I guess I didn't dislike it, but I didn't think it notably good.

1. I wanted more science. I know that wasn't the point of the movie, but that's just me. I wanted more science.

B. I didn't feel like I knew anything more about their marriage than if I had read it described on Wikipedia. It felt like all I got was the surface of their marriage, but the circumstances are so unusual that I wanted much more depth.

Draft saved Draft deleted