1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 NCAA Tournament thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Mar 18, 2015.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I've got ND going to the round of 8 in too many brackets, but I'd rather them be disgraced early then next Thursday

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of my rules of thumb for the tournament is, all other things being equal, don't pick against Tom Izzo. Dude is a witch this time of year. It amazes me that it's been 15 years since he's won a championship, given how many times he's had Michigan State in the mix.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's hard to believe Izzo has only won one title, but he's still one of the best coaches out there.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Going by recent trends, I'd say Iowa State is about ready to outscore UAB 75-30 in the second half.

But that was a nice last 15 minutes or so of the first half for the Blazers.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I like Iowa State A LOT. But I don't think I have them getting past the Sweet 16. Fred Hoiberg is the anti-Rick Barnes.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Georgia State reminds me of Detroit from a few years ago. Coach's kid is really good with some really talented transfers. You'd think it should be a threat to do some damage in this tournament, but it really isn't.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Before they tip off, I'll restate my love for Texas Southern. Good 22-win team with a couple of noteworthy wins (at Michigan State, at Kansas State) and they played a brutal cash-grab schedule in non-conference. Seven of their 13 games were against tournament teams, and 12 of the 13 were on the road. Of the six that didn't make the tournament, three were power-conference teams.
    Arizona was a tough draw for them. I'd like their chances better if they'd managed to get a 14-seed. I don't know that they'll win (they probably won't), but I'd expect it to be closer than you'd think. I suspect it'll still be a game with 7 or 8 minutes left.

8. RecoveringJournalist

I would love for Georgia State to do something. Kevin Ware returning to the tournament is the best story out there, IMO...

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Anybody pick Utah in the first round? If the sendings were swapped would anyone pick Austin?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Maybe Georgia State can sell T-shirts capitalizing on his injury like his old school did.

11. RecoveringJournalist

I think that was by far, the most popular upset pick. Which means Utah will probably win by 20.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I did. Utah has been pretty good all year. Like you suggested, I think if that was a 13-4 game instead of 12-5 you'd have people picking Utah without thinking twice about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted