1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 MLB spring training thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They have 2 of the top 5 picks this year. No. 2 for not signing Aiken, and No. 5 is their regular pick.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What about the other first-round picks they didn't sign? Or do you only get a comp pick for your highest first-rounder if you fail to sign multiple?

My head hurts already.

3. Steak Snabler

Aiken was a first-round pick. Nix was a fifth-round pick.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Is this years draft considered better? Could that be why the Astros chose not to sign Aitken?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ah, you're right.

That's what it was -- they were trying to pay him first-round slot money with the savings from the Aiken deal.

Which makes it even weirder, jacking up the #1 pick to make a fifth-rounder happy.

6. Steak Snabler

No, I think this year's draft is considered one of the weakest in several years, particularly with college talent.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I think I've written this here before, but why reward teams for failing to sign their draft picks?

They know where they're selecting and the price that comes with it. If they're too cheap, so be it.

Now every team is pushed down an extra spot because of their incompetence, bad scouting and/or cheapness.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Unlike other sports, MLB teams cannot trade draft picks. They are stuck with them and stuck with a finite amount of slot money at the same time. You rob Peter to pay Paul up the line and vice versa. Often none of those three things you mentioned comes into play when it comes to failing to sign a pick. More times than not it's the unreasonable demand of the parents of a draft pick. I've seen it three times locally already.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Plus the demands of agents.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Because it gives teams additional leverage in negotiating with draft picks.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The MLBPA "will be watching" how the Cubs handle Kris Bryant. Not that they can or will do anything about it if/when the Cubs send him to the minors to push back the start of his service clock. Seems like silly posturing to me.

Yes, Bryant is probably ready, though maybe not defensively. And yes, the Cubs are at least going to wait long enough to push back his first year of free agency. It is frustrating to watch a team that could be a contender do this, but I'm not sure what the union can do about it.

Union will be watching Cubs in Kris Bryant situation | CSN Chicago

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Juan Pierre announces retirement, then follows it up:

Juan Pierre @JPBeastMode · Feb 27
    I do have one regret I finished with 18 homeruns really wanted to get 20 so if any team wants to sign me for 3yrs that should be enough time

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted