1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 MLB spring training thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 18, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And didn't the Braves just extend Freeman, Tehran, Simmons, Kimbrel, and Heyward like 45 minutes ago? Sure seems like it. They went from "let's extend all our stars and really put together something special" to "nah, let's just dump 'em all!" in the blink of an eye.

I'm sure Rizzo will listen if the Braves want to unload Simmons.

Another fun fact: The top two highest-paid players on the Braves payroll, I think, are Uggla and Markakis. Uggla is the starting second baseman for the Nats today. Markakis is one dive away from a snapped neck.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

All those extensions came under Frank Wren, who got fired. And not all of them were a great idea.

Heyward got a two-year deal, so I guess that counts as an extension, but really wasn't. They actually just bought out his last two years of arbitration.

As for Kimbrel, paying big money for closers — especially ones who throw as hard as Kimbrel — is never a good idea. If he makes it through the next three years healthy or at the same level of effectiveness, I'd be surprised.

I don't think Freeman, Teheran or Simmons are going anywhere, but I could be wrong.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Hey, it's working. The Braves are in first place.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Who needs Kimbrel anyway? Grilli closes it out, including a strikeout of Stanton.

What's the record for most 2-1 wins in a year? Appears that's the recipe for Braves success in 2015.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it will disappear in a cacophony of 3-1 and 4-2 losses.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

A similar thing happened to the Rangers. They went from winning back-to-back pennants in 2010-11 and playing 163 games in 2012-13 to just short of 100 losses. A lot of that was devastating injuries, but the only pieces left from the start of the run are Beltre, Andrus, Holland and Mitch Moreland. (Neftali Feliz, too.)

Draft saved Draft deleted