1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 MLB awards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 20, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What other reason is there?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm paraphrasing Tom Boswell, I'm not making the assertion. Ask Boswell.

But, Harper is a Mormon. He doesn't drink, smoke or use caffeine. So my guess, based on his age, religion and track record of success in the game since he was 15 is that he doesn't use PEDs

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Laughable that anybody still makes these proclamations.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just wonderin' if there's a Gibson-like player this year.

If it was *just* about numbers, Strawberry would've won it in '88, not Gibson. Mets won 100 that year, Dodgers 94.

Cutch had just 21 homers and 84 RBIs in '13. Strong average (.317) and of course that defense in center. Goldschmidt's HR's and RBIs left Cutch in the dust. Lesser average (.302) but better OPS.

That said, I'm not against Harper winning it.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

We're smarter than we were in 1988.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Proclamations that a player is definitely clean? I agree. People make too many assumptions both ways.

Regarding Harper, his faith is irrelevant. We only have his word regarding drinking, smoking and caffeine. Alex Rodriguez was also dominant as a teenager. Not that I think Harper has cheated. I don't. But we don't know.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It is just about numbers when the numbers are as good as Harper's. He's having a historic season. There's no argument for anyone else to beat him out.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Clown question, bro.

TyWebb, JC and Donny in his element like this.
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He really should be.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

How about Ken Morales?

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He does have the advantage of not just being one Kendry, but many Kendrys.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He's certainly deserving of consideration and I wouldn't be surprised to see him win it if writers take into account the reasons for their comebacks. A-Rod's "comeback" is from a disciplinary action caused by his own malfeasance, whereas Morales is coming back from injury, so I'd understand if people don't want to reward A-Rod for cheating.

Strictly on the numbers, I think A-Rod edges Morales - he's got 11 more HRs, 4 more runs scored and 22 fewer RBI and a slightly higher OPS in 65 fewer ABs. A-Rod struck out more, though Morales grounded into 10 more double plays.
    Rodriguez: 483 AB, 32 HR, 79 R, 83 RBI, 75 BB, 134 K, .358 OBP, .499 SLG, .857 OPS
    Morales: 549 AB, 21 HR, 75 R, 105 RBI, 48 BB, 98 K, .355 OPB, .490 SLG, .845 OPS

Draft saved Draft deleted