1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Golden Era Committee Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I mean, it's case by case. But things being equal, yes.

And Schilling is a slam dunk to me.

2. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I am shocked at how little support he has gotten on the ballot. I thought he would sail in, with his '01 World Series MVP and the Bloody Sock game. I don't know how Jack Morris got so much more support when Schill is an even better candidate.

3. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Not saying he's the biggest HOF snub, but Harold Baines deserves another look. Tom Verducci has called him the best eligible player not to make the Hall.

4. Dick Whitman

Jerry Reinsdorf desperately wanted to get him to 3,000 hits. It was painful to watch him hit in his final season.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

During those years you were watching Steve Carlton, Tom Seaver, Jim Palmer, Nolan Ryan, Catfish Hunter, Nolan Ryan, Fergie Jenkens. Tiant was great, and he had a couple of outstanding seasons sprinkled into a long career. He was fun and had a big personality. But that was a pretty good era for pitching, and few people outside of Boston, where he had his best years, were ever putting Tiant on that level.

6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

He was 42...he's far from the only player to have a miserable final season. He was still an excellent hitter right up through age 40, and had respectable numbers at 41. I thought he would get to 3,000.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The BBWAA’s Historical Overview Committee puts together each Era ballot. In terms of Tiant and Reyolds, they may not have gotten the same amount of votes. Tiant could have gotten 3 and Reynolds one because they don't list the complete totals that low for some stupid reason.

Santo got in and Reynolds, Charlie Finley and Buzzie Bavasi were dropped. Although I don't know why someone like Pierce was viewed as better than Reynolds to get added. I think they shake up a couple spots each time for the Pre-Integration and Golden Eras because they would never change. The expansion era ballot will get new guys all the time, like the three managers last year and Morris on the next one. So theoretically someone down the ballot is just being overlooked because of new people.

If the same 10 were on from last time, it would stand to reason someone like Reynolds would never get enough traction. So give a couple others a try and then put them back on. Of course I think that this point the Pre-Integration ballot should go away after this next one to get Bill Dahlen in and then just alternate Golden and Expansion from now on, with one spot on the Golden Ballot for pre 1947 if it makes people feel better.

8. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

There is a petition going around, tied to a social media page/movement, to get Hodges elected.

I wonder if that can be considered a hindrance now as these committees are actively trying to shed the negativity that was stuff like the Frisch cronyism, the alleged reason Rick Ferrell got elected (old GM/owner stumped everyone to give the then ailing Ferrell a sympathy vote), the anti-New York bias of the likes of Charlie Gehringer that allegedly kept Rizzuto and Durocher on the outside looking in for years, etc.

I mean, look at who has been enshrined by this manner...okay you got me on Ron Santo with the whole This Old Cub documentary and the Cubs honoring him in advance prior to his posthumous induction in 2012, but the only other post 1900 player that has been elected by any of the three committees is Joe Gordon! I mean the Post Expansion Committee can't even put Marvin Miller in! So I don't know if the whole dog and pony show for Hodges is really beneficial, or a sign that the whole Committee system is as flawed as it was for all those decades before they adopted the three rotating ones.

Which oddly enough I don't think many of the supporters even realize has been in effect for about a decade now. Last two years they've cursed the committee, even though Hodges wasn't eligible for either one.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Well you know in two years the Expansion committee is going to put in Morris.

I think the reason for it is simple -- all the no-brainer selections have already been put in by the writers And the ones that people want to see discusses, like a Lou Whittaker, aren't eligible for the ballot yet. The weakest selections have been by the old versions of the Vet Committee. Were there oversights that have been righted? Yes. But since the writers can't put in managers, executives, etc., it makes sense that the new setup takes care of that over players that had so many chances.

10. Dick Whitman

How many players can each Golden Era committee member vote for?

11. Dick Whitman

If Jack Morris makes it ahead of Dave Parker, Tommy John, or Lou Whittaker, I am going to lose my fucking shit.

12. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

IIRC, each voter can only name up to 5 candidates on his ballot.

Draft saved Draft deleted