1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Golden Era Committee Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The 10-person ballot: Dick Allen, Ken Boyer, Gil Hodges, Bob Howsam, Jim Kaat, Minnie Minoso, Tony Oliva, Billy Pierce, Luis Tiant and Maury Wills.

Kaat (10 votes in 2011), Hodges (9 votes), Minoso (9 votes), Oliva (8 votes), Boyer (less than 3 votes) and Tiant (less than three votes) return to the ballot after appearing in the fall in 2011 in the first vote of the Golden Era Committee.

Allen, Howsam, Pierce and Wills will be considered by the Golden Era Committee for the first time.

The 16-person Golden Era Committee consists of Hall of Famers Jim Bunning, Rod Carew, Pat Gillick, Ferguson Jenkins, Al Kaline, Joe Morgan, Ozzie Smith and Don Sutton; baseball executives Jim Frey, David Glass, Roland Hemond and Bob Watson; and veteran media members Steve Hirdt, Dick Kaegel, Phil Pepe and Tracy Ringolsby.

You can see who the front-runners will be. Can't wait for Allen's vote total. The only newcomer that has a real shot is Howsam but I fear Wills will get a decent chunk of votes.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Interesting list. Other than probably Pierce, as much as that pains me, I think all probably deserve induction.

If there was any justice in this world, this should be Allen's vote total:

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Can someone make a rational and convincing argument why Tony Perez is in the Hall of Fame and Gil Hodges is not?

4. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I don't think anyone on that first list deserves induction until Don Mattingly gets in. I hope his record as Dodgers manager isn't hampering his HOF case.

Kinda surprised at some of the names on the second list. I assumed Carew, Kaline, Morgan, and Ozzie were all in.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Please, God, I hope he's just kidding/trolling/whatever you want to call it.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jenkins and Bunning were teammates of Allen with the Phillies. Interesting to see how they vote, if we ever learn. My former colleague Mike Shalin wrote a book on the 100 best players not in the Hall. By consensus of those he surveyed and his own research, Allen was number one.

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

When was this book written? Bonds surely has to rank as greatest player not in the Hall.

8. Dick Whitman

I would tend to agree with that.

Not counting the PED guys, gambling guys, or Biggio, who is inevitable, I'd probably go:

(1) Dick Allen;
    (2) Tim Raines;
    (3) Albert Belle;
    (4) Tommy John;
    (5) Mike Mussina.

I would also take a long look at guys like Roger Maris, Fernando, and Dwight Gooden, with incredible peaks. Mattingly, too.

The Hall is extremely biased toward compilers.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't.

If you absolutely have to pick someone from that list, I'd go with Hodges, followed closely by Kaat. Then a bit of a drop off to Oliva.

One question I have -- and if anyone can explain the process to me, thanks. I know last year Allie Reynolds was on the their ballot and he got as many votes as Tiant. This year, Tiant is back on. Reynolds isn't. Why is that?

I remember El Tiante. I liked him. He was fun. But come on, he falls way short of the hall of fame. At least in my opinion. I don't remember Allie Reynolds, so what I am going on are the memories of others who saw him. I don't think any of them would say that Reynolds belongs in, but he was way more consistent than Tiant and was more dominant for a short time than Tiant ever was, and he had the two no hitters in one season. So why does he drop off the ballot by someone like Tiant stays on? Is it a committee picking the ballot too?

Re: Dick Allen. He would have benefited from a longer career. It's interesting how he has such a bad reputation, but there are former teammates lined up with stories about how he mentored them and how he was team first. I have no idea what to believe when it comes to him.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Hodges and Wills would top my list. Hodges as a player and manager and Wills for changing the game.

11. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

You want guys with peak value and not compilers and you would take Mussina over Schilling?

12. Dick Whitman

Why?

Draft saved Draft deleted