1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 College basketball coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. I can only assume the hosts were throwing pasta at the wall. According to Kaplan (who knows beaucoup folks in basketball), Marshall really wanted the South Carolina gig Martin got but the school had no interest at all.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I mean, if he's going to take a step down in coaching, I'd hope he'd choose George Mason. That's just me, though.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

If he gets by Indiana and beats Kansas (assuming KU plays its part) I would assume he would get some interest. But, I've thought that before and, well, you know. It seems the guy has an industry-wide reputation of being a horse's ass.

4. JackReacher

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Interesting read, Jack. Thanks.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Slightly nutty idea, but how about Crean to DePaul. He pulls a Tubby and gets out ahead of the torches and pitch forks. He goes to a program where he's a good fit given his coaching and recruiting history and if he matches the level of success he's had at Marquette and Indiana they'll be thrilled, but it's not the end of the world if he's in the NIT.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nobody leaves a B1G job for DePaul unless they're getting pushed.

The idea of Brian Gregory for DePaul I threw on the wall a page or two ago has the same rationale: Gregory and Crean are both former Izzo assistants with solid Midwest recruiting backgrounds who were both pretty successful at catholic mid-majors (Dayton, Marquette) before stalling at their current power conference jobs.

I get the feeling IU is going to give Crean another year to get it together, though.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

He basically is, isn't he? If not this year, probably next.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And for what it's worth, I'd be surprised if Boeheim stayed on that long.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, there are few ways that turns out "well."

12. JackReacher

Fordham fired Tom Pecora today. Maybe Gregg Marshall lands there?

Draft saved Draft deleted