1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Basketball Hall of Fame Inductees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Apr 6, 2015.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I can't tell if the Mutombo criticism is trolling or legit. He was in eight All-Star games, and won Defensive Player of the Year four times. Led the league in blocks five times, rebounding four times. Six All-Defense teams, two All-NBA second teams and one All-NBA third team. Even in his later years, his size made him a valuable 10-minute reserve. That, plus his humanitarian work, international background and very good college career, it seems enough to get him in.

Also, I never noticed this link on Basketball Reference before: NBA & ABA Leaders and Records for Hall of Fame Probability | Basketball-Reference.com - I'm guessing it's calculating Hall of Fame chances similar to other systems out there, based on black ink (awards earned) and career totals. It had Mutombo at 96 percent. The 50 percent threshold for current players is Amar'e (72 percent, way higher than I would have thought) and Joe Johnson (49 percent).

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that if advanced metrics were around when Mutombo was in his prime he would be drawing more love. I think he provided a lot of rim protection.
    Add in his I do know that Denver talked themselves into believing he was not worth resigning and saw their win total decline from 35 to 21 while Atlanta won 10 more games.

I also think Mutombo's inside presence makes him a better player than Williams, who I wold support for the Hall of Fame.

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

the basketball hall isnt exactly hard to get into. Dennis johnson and dennis rodman are recent selections.

Draft saved Draft deleted