1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 WSOP Main Event just concluded

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Nov 12, 2014.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Daniel Negranu (sp) was on set during the final table coverage. Not sure about the coverage leading up to it. I think Ivey made a deep run last year. Something like top 30 maybe.

Harrington made back-to-back final tables in the early 2000s, I think. The fields were probably smaller, but I think he ended up finishing 3rd in one and maybe 2nd in another. Better than 9th.

2. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

All of those names with the exception of Harrington, Farha and Chan were Full Tilt players. The legal troubles from Black Friday have not helped. I may be wrong but I believe a lot of people are still seriously pissed at Lederer so he's been keeping a low profile as it is.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd love to find out where all those old names are. My guess is flat broke.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I just saw Ferguson on TV on one of those poker tour shows broadcast on regional cable sports networks. Maybe these guys could organize a Senior Tour.

5. JackReacher

Didn't one of those guys have a substantial amount of money in one of those online accounts that got seized? Like a really, really large amount. A guy I know had like 20 grand in Full Tilt and it finally got returned within the last year, I think. Not sure if everyone got their money back, though, or how those refunds worked.

6. LongTimeListener

Lederer had a huge (majority?) stake in Full Tilt. Ferguson was big in it too. They had to pay it back plus some multimillion-dollar fines.

I found this about the founder and CEO, who was up for a 65-year prison term but was excused because of a heart condition. One player says that guy is dying and "nearly penniless."

http://www.cardschat.com/news/full-tilt-founder-ray-bitar-near-death-broke-says-allen-cunningham-7658

7. JackReacher

I think anyone who thought that all those guys had millions upon millions in the bank was probably crazy. A few of them -- Ivey, Negranu (sp) and some others -- are definitely set for life, though. Or so it seems. It's really, really, really hard to make life-changing, retire early, live without worry money in poker.

8. LongTimeListener

I am thinking more that even the guys who made that kind of money went off and blew it on craps or blackjack or women or whatever.

Ivey was widely believed to be the government's cooperating witness in that Full Tilt case.

9. JackReacher

Definitely. Even those who did make a ton on poker probably blew a lot of it elsewhere. There are probably very few set-for-life poker players on the planet right now. Sure is fun to try, though!!

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ivey, for all his skill and millions, seems likely to blow it all at some point. He is a straight-up gambler. He will bet - and bet big - on anything, not just games of skill.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The only ones who made it out with money are the ones who loaded up on sponsorship deals.

Draft saved Draft deleted