1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 WSOP Main Event just concluded

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Nov 12, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That helps a lot. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. old_tony

So what's more impressive? Winning it all once or making the final table in back-to-back years?

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who would you rather be: the guy who makes the final table twice in a row and finishes in 9th place both times, or the guy who wins it once?

4. old_tony

Well, I'd rather be Mark Newhouse than Jamie Gold.

But for now I'd rather be Martin Jacobsen than Newhouse.

That still doesn't answer the question.

5. JackReacher

I'm guessing it's more of a longshot to make the final table twice in a row than to win it once.

Jaime Gold won like $8M didn't he? I think Newhouse won around $1.5M combined for both 9th place finishes. I'll take the larger dollar amount, but that's just me.

6. old_tony

I've heard something to the effect that Gold has blown through all of his money. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do know that he sold his bracelet at auction for some $66K. That makes me think it's true.

Now that I have looked it up, Gold won $12 million for the main event in 2006. His career total earnings are $12,257,442.

Newhouse's career earnings are $3,451,736.

I would not be surprised if Newhouse eventually passes Gold's total within the next five years. And there's no doubt in my mind that Newhouse is worth more as far as current endorsements would go.

7. JackReacher

Fair enough when discussing those people personally. But I'd much rather win the whole joint once than finish 9th twice in a row. I'd question the sanity of those who say otherwise. Unless $10M+ isn't life-changing money to you. Then, it's about the challenge. But yeah. I'll take the most cash, please.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Back-to-back final tables is a nice feat, a bracelet is forever.

9. JackReacher

Apparently, Newhouse tweeted just after buying into the tournament back in July. Something like, "Just bought in to the main event. Not finishing fucking 9th again!!!"

Oops.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Back-to-back final tables sounds more like one of those made up ESPN records, like first player with 40 homers, 32 doubles and 25 stolen bases.

11. JackReacher

I mean, it's one hell of an accomplishment for sure.

12. old_tony

Another thing I've noticed is that some of the big stars from early in the poker boom have been complete non-factors in Main Event coverage.

I don't recall seeing one second of the likes of Howard Lederer, Annie Duke, Sammy Farha, Chris "Jesus" Ferguson, Jennifer Harmon, Clonie Gowen, Dan Harrington, Scottie Nguyen, Johnnie Chan, Barry Greenstein.

Draft saved Draft deleted