1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 WSOP Main Event just concluded

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Nov 12, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Haven't seen a thread on this, but it was just decided.

For the second straight year they played the first hours of the final table on ESPN2 and because my DVR was only recording the showings on ESPN, I missed it again.

In the final hand, Martin Jacobson from Sweden just flopped a set of 10s and has won. He entered the final table short stacked and played brilliantly.

He was down to seven big blinds at Hand No. 145. He won it all on Hand No. 328. He survived something like 20 all-ins at the final table, the majority of which were not called.

But as I mentioned, they fucked me out of seeing all the Monday action, then listed the program tonight as just being from 8-10 central time. It ran another two hours with the guide showing "SportsCenter," so since I wasn't watching live I missed the hour between 10 and 11 before catching the last hour live. They just fuck over people who have been recording it all through for the last three months.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they still broadcast it. It was entertaining the first year, then got boring quickly.

Is that barrel of laughs Norman Chad still doing commentary?

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Sounds like horrific planning on your part.

And yeah, Chad is still doing commentary. But I really liked hearing from Antonio Esfandiari. He was excellent; talking you through each player's hand, what his options were, what he was likely to do, etc. That had to have been draining, though. But great commentary from him.

Pretty brutal for the Newhouse guy to finish 9th two years in a row. I mean, the $730K payday will help him get over it, but that's tough.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I thought Antonio was excellent as well.

Newhouse got what he deserved. He said in the interview he thought he was beat, and was just trying to make a play. He wasn't short-stacked by any means and you should never make a play when all the cards are out and you think you are beat.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I haven't had the time to watch much coverage this year, but I disagree with SnarkShark that it got boring quickly. If anything, I think the coverage has vastly improved since Moneymaker's win and, if you enjoy watching poker at all, it's great.

I get it if you simply think watching other people play cards is boring. But it certainly hasn't gotten more boring.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

The hole cam changed the way poker is broadcast. Now we can see the cards as it happens, along with odds to win, chip counts, etc. It is damn near interactive.

rb

7. JackReacher

I found it pretty entertaining, but I love poker. I remember back in like 2006 when Jaime Gold, I think, won and I paid $25 to watch the final table on ESPN PPV. Stayed up till around 6 a.m. watching it. And that was without the hole card cam.

Now, they show you the cards and put the telecast on 30-minute delay. Which brings in a fascinating aspect of the players having people in the crowd watching the telecast and relaying information to them during breaks.

8. bigpern23

I'm assuming they didn't use the hole cam for the live broadcast? I know it's been around since Moneymaker's win.

Jamie Gold may be the shittiest winner I've ever seen. From what I hear, he's pretty much blown his payday.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. JackReacher

This year? Yeah, they used the card cam. Put the telecast on 30-minute delay. No card cam in 2006.

10. bigpern23

Sorry, I was unclear. I was just asking for clarification that you meant no hole cam during live broadcast in 2006. When I first read it, I thought you meant they didn't have the hole cam at all in 2006 and I knew I remembered it during Moneymaker's win (and each subsequent year). Then I realized that the ESPN PPV broadcast you mentioned was the live broadcast.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Yeah, it wasn't about the setup of the coverage. It was about watching people playing cards on television.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I stumbled onto it last night while channel-surfing. Hadn't watched poker on TV years but Antonio kept me glued. Great analysis.

Draft saved Draft deleted