1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Series thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 21, 2014.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And again I ask: Why does the skill/positioning thing matter? Outs are outs, defensive plays are defensive plays.

I'm guessing because of some convoluted theory (with no evidence whatsoever, mind you) that defensive positioning no longer applies in the postseason? Because retreating and retrenching in less and less defensible positions is preferable to admitting that the A's are good at defense and you were wrong.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Over time, sure. More often than not, the ball goes where it should.

In a short series, it sure helps to have a guy that can go get it when it doesn't go where it's supposed to.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, wait a minute ... what the heck do you mean "doesn't go where it's supposed to"?

4. RickStain

I worry that you think this makes sense. I kind of hope I'm missing the troll.

5. LongTimeListener

The shift data doesn't always work, is what I mean. Sometimes the ball goes to a different place. So fielders with range are more valuable.

But it does work a lot over a 162-game sample.

6. RickStain

Setting aside for the moment that you've provided no evidence whatsoever that the A's defensive success is due to shifting and not player abilities, you do realize that this is a completely worthless tautology, right?

"Sometimes the ball doesn't go where it should" is true. But "sometimes the good fielder misses because of bad positioning" is also true. Can't that hurt you in a short series? Can't good positioning help you in a short series?

Although I'm looking forward to sometime in the next few pages your inevitable opinion that the Giants intentionally hit balls against tendency during the regular season to screw up the charts for the postseason.

7. LongTimeListener

All right. I need to stop taking about the A's. This is the World Series thread, after all. I'm sure eventually positive variance will pay them back like a slot machine and we can talk about them then.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The A's are the only team that utilizes analytics, and it cost them again.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I like arguing about 1985 more than the 2014 Oakland A's.

10. LongTimeListener

Touché.

Good luck in Game 2. But piss off for Game 1.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I want to see how far the Royals winning streak will go.

12. RickStain

That's also not how slot machines work...

Draft saved Draft deleted