1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rainman, Jun 3, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The next time a cornerback jumps on a receiver to take a PI and prevent an 80-yard touchdown, I hope he is banned forever. Because he is a cheater.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Kind of a funny sidebar on Suerez:

LILA PIRIZ spreads the yellowing photos of her grandson Luis Suarez on her dining room table and beams the warm smile of cherished family moments remembered.
    There’s little Luis in his first football team, his blue shorts flapping to his knees. In another Luis the grinning schoolboy is perched on his proud granny’s lap.
    Gently clasping the pictures for me to see, pensioner Lila says again and again in Spanish: “Mi negrito, mi negrito.” It is, she explains with moist eyes, her pet name for the £23million Liverpool striker, which translates as “My little black boy”.

http://archive.today/0I95#selection-903.1-911.249

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Very soccer of him.
    What a joke.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

There is a huge difference between putting someone on the turf and biting someone. Putting someone on the turf is a professional foul in a contact game, which soccer is. Biting someone is freaking biting someone.

5. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

@holyfield I guess any part of the body is up for eating.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That was comical. "No, no, put your shirt back up. Don't do that."

7. Inky_Wretch

What are the odds FIFA suspends Suarez at all, let alone the remainder of the tournament?

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

It's really hard to say. Historically, not much. In today's world, FIFA, just like every other person/entity can't escape HD replays, omnipresent cameras, and social media. I don't even think the crooks at FIFA can say there isn't any evidence.

9. Inky_Wretch

I don't know how - given the bite marks on his shoulder - that Suarez escapes punishment. But then I remember we're talking about FIFA.

10. Inky_Wretch

And the Uruguay defense strategy is Alex Jonesian ...

@JeffreyCarlisle
    Uruguay captain Diego Lugano (translated): "You have to be stupid to think that mark on Chiellini is from today." #ITAvsURU

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This wins it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

How is that even tolerated? That guy needs to be given the hockey treatment by Marty McSorley on the "pitch".

Draft saved Draft deleted