1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rainman, Jun 3, 2014.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yeah, that was my point, that Spain didn't win the Confederations Cup. I dunno ... you can go either way I guess considering that a major tournament. Yeah, you had Tahiti there last time, but when Spain, Brazil, Uruguay, Mexico, Japan, etc. are sending their full national teams, I would say that counts as a major tournament. But with only eight teams, again you can say it's not a major event.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It's a pretty big tournament because you get top notch teams who bring their A squads -- when we played in 2009 is was a massive opportunity. But a lot of the better teams use it to experiment with new formations and there is a sense that the best play with a little less than full effort for 90 minutes.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, when he's justified in screaming at them most of the time ...

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Wright Thompson on the 1978 World Cup. Be warned that the editor's note about torture is for real.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11036214/while-world-watched-world-cup-brings-back-memories-argentina-dirty-war

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Too long, but a reminder that FIFA getting into bed with the worst of the worst is nothing new.

6. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Some difficult reading, particularly for someone who was a blissful little boy living in B.A. at the time.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Monty Python records a new verse for "Always Look On the Bright Side of Life" for the World Cup...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5e7gdxkgE8

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

So I've really come around on Beckerman and Jones, and I think Klinsmann may have found his lineup. I think this Michigan blog has a great take on the Nigeria game:

http://mgoblog.com/content/nigeria-recap-ready-you-can-be

Check the GIF here: http://insidethefilmroom.com/usa-vs-nigerian-world-cup-warm-breakdown-kyle-beckerman-effect/2/. A nice give-and-go off a nondescript set piece almost springs Jones loose in the box. The D cuts it out, giving Nigeria a dangerous break, but Jones sprints back 70 yards to break it up. We need that work rate out of him, and this is the lineup that allows it. It's either a Christmas tree or an asymmetrical 4-3-3, with Beasley and Johnson pretty clearly our best options on the wings. I'd love to start Zusi over Bedoya on the right side of the midfield, but he's a defensive liability that we can't risk on this stage. I had assumed a couple of weeks ago that we'd use three lineups in the three group games, but now I hope this is the side we go to war with.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That's rubbish. Here's a better one:

When you're kicked out of Brazil
    And you take that bitter pill
    Of going out on penalties again
    Yes, you blew it from the spot
    But you're better than the Scots
    Except at rugby, golf and Wimbledon...

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Why is it there seems a need to reinvent the soccer ball for every World Cup? Is there something wrong with the traditional pentagonal design? Or do companies figure a redesign is patent-able? Just seems kind of dumb to re-do the thing just before the sport's greatest event.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Umm. So they can sell a shitload of balls. I believe they have a different design for every county, plus the balls they will actually use in the games. Although they have made some technological advances as well recently, for better or worse.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Yup, same reason clubs come up with "new" shirt designs seemingly every season.

Draft saved Draft deleted