1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rainman, Jun 3, 2014.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Well, that was a nice piece of work by Altidore.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This won't hurt Altdore's confidence. And, short of the back four suddenly understanding the concept of defense, no one individual needed it more.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You could see every Altidore touch becoming stronger as the game went on.

And Klinsmann got him out at just the right time. Keep his confidence level sky-high.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I do wish Howard didn't look like he's rescued the Western world every time he makes a save.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good game for the U.S. Won't matter, methinks.

Four years ago, I took the Dutch at the start to win it. Got to the final.

Four straight major titles for Spain? Don't think so. I've got Argentina winning it and the U.S. not advancing out of the group stage.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The Confederations Cup is surely a major title, isn't it? If national teams are sending their strongest to the Confed Cup, I would think that's a major title.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Just finished watching the USA/Nigeria game. Some creative stuff from the Americans. Jozy Altidore has long been a favorite of mine. He is so strong, holds the ball well and gets fouled a lot. Obviously, his goal scoring (or lack thereof) is what drives fans crazy, but that second goal he had? Wow. Three feathery touches before smashing that ball into the goal.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Ha. My thought as well.

Rescuing the western world and showing up your teammates simultaneously.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Why FIFA sees the U.S. as fertile ground for soccer growth:

Most-watched games in U.S. history: http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/newswire/2010/2010-world-cup-final-becomes-most-watched-soccer-game-in-u-s-tv-history.html

Most-watched games in British history: http://talksport.com/magazine/features/120523/chelsea-who-five-most-watched-football-matches-uk-history-172675

The American TV market obviously is 5x the size of the UK market, so the upside is tremendous in terms of raw eyeballs.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Spain didn't win the Confederations Cup last year. And I'd defer to the other soccer guys here on whether it's a major title. Most likely not. Eight teams, one of which got outscored 24-1. It's a nice thing for a test run, but it's not exactly stacked with great teams all over the place.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No, it's not. It tends to have good teams because of the format, but it's not taken even remotely seriously, and its main purpose now seems to be as a World Cup dress rehearsal.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Even back when he played for the Metrostars and then Man United, he's always been a screamer at his defense. You never see the guys shoot him a nasty look or grumble about him though.

Draft saved Draft deleted