1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rainman, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'll take Spain to repeat.

USMNT fails to advance from the Group of Death. Soccer haters show their ignorance by mocking the performance.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Well, I had not looked at the bracket for the knockout rounds when I posited that final. But it's still a possiblity. Germans are not a slam-dunk to beat out Portugal for No. 1 in the group, and if they finished second, they'd probably get Russia and Argentina ahead of a semifinal clash with Spain or Italy. Tough, but doable.

As for Team USA, if they can beat Ghana and not get embarrassed against the Portuguese and Germany, I'll call it a successful outing.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Oh, stranger things have happened for sure. Brazil actually don't have the easiest of roads, as they're likely to get Spain or Holland in the second round. QF might actually be easier, probably against the second-place team in the England/Italy group.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That seems to be the prevailing opinion about the US, which sucks because it didn't seem that long ago that people were saying this was the best team the US ever had. Sometimes I guess it really comes down to the draw and Portugal and Germany are usually powerhouses.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think Portugal is such a much. I could see the U.S. getting four points out of the group and advancing. Then they'd get beat.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Assuming Ronaldo is playing and healthy, he should kill the U.S. defense, no?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Ronaldo is a great player, but Portugal is a perpetual underperformer in international play. I won't say the U.S. will beat Portugal, but I think they have a chance to snake a point at least. Beating Ghana is absolutely imperative, of course.

Germany should win the group, but they're banged-up — Klose, Lahm and Schewinsteiger all sat out yesterday's friendly with Cameroon — so I worry about them in the knockout stages.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't get a seat under the second deck. Wear sunscreen instead.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Was it a case of Mexico being Mexico on Tuesday?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/soccer/ct-mexico-bosnia-spt-0604-20140604,0,5234745.story

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

A few European powerhouses have shit the bed in recent World Cups.

Italy in 2010.
    France in 2002 and 2010.
    Spain in 1998.
    Portugal in 2002.

Maybe this is Germany's year to shit the bed. Or not. Can't hurt to be wishful.

Draft saved Draft deleted