1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rainman, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Word for word.

Look at MLS attendance and ratings! They're not as big as the NFL.

How hard is it to find other soccer leagues on TV here? Really damn hard.

And good luck finding U.S. national team games on TV or in stateside stadiums in the years between World Cups.

This country barely even cares during the World Cup. All of America is totally the same, with one monolithic audience of people who all only watch soccer during U.S. games in the World Cup.

Stoney, that's a Hot Sports Take, man. Nice going.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every statement in Meatie Pie's post is either incorrect or irrelevant. Premier league games are on the NBC Sports cable channel, and plain old NBC, every weekend of the season. Champions League is on Fox Sports cable and/or ESPN. US national team games always on ESPN and they play to packed houses here.
    Stoney, I must disagree. The World Cup is the ninth wave of the soccer tide, but overall, that tides keeps rising slowly each year. Will soccer ever be as big as it is in Italy or Brazil? Almost surely not. But it is growing as a spectator sport, and I don't expect the growth to slow, even if it doesn't ever accelerate dramatically, either.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Soccer will have arrived in the US when they start showing 20 or so college
    games on a Saturday in the fall.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I really would have appreciated the opportunity to sit at a bar with one of my soccer friends and have them break down the tactics as we watched.
    That end was not fulfilled by ESPN, which tends to ruin broadcasts with overanalysis.
    I don't need Gruden to explain how the Ravens are trying to stop Calvin Johnson- I can bloody see it.
    What guys are trying to achieve strategically on the soccer field at any given time is Greek to me.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I suggest you start reading the the Armchair Analyst and listening to the March to the Match Podcast

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Thanks, Pastor, honestly. I want to learn the game for my wife. She loves it.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm willing to drink at a bar at 8 AM and watch soccer.

9. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I remember quite a few people in bars at 10 a.m. when the World Cup was in South Africa and a lot of soccer bars do good morning business for EPL games.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Is Mesi the best ever to not win the World Cup? Would think he gets probably 2 more shots, definitely 1. How about best to not play in World Cup, George Best, George Weah?

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Best who didn't win is Johann Cruyff.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Gruden would have thought that Bradley played terrific

Draft saved Draft deleted