1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 U.S. Open running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jun 11, 2014.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Does Ricky Fowler have a really small head or does he tend to favor very large baseball caps?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it's the hat.

3. DanOregon

One good thing about a Kaymer win, we wouldn't have to hear about the "emotion of winning on Father's Day" . In Germany, Father's Day was celebrated on May 29th this year.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That won't stop the references.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I still don't think it's over after 54 holes ... but it's getting close.

6. DanOregon

It's one of my biggest pet peeves - ESPECIALLY w/ regard to the US Open which always concludes on Father's Day (barring a playoff). You have expect all the golfers to be pissing themselves all over the course since you know - they have had a dad at some point and may be fathers.
    The fun fact about Father's Day in Germany, it's been traditionally celebrated by going out on a hike with some buds and getting hammered.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Phil, you probably should have listened to Bones."

A Father's Day tradition unlike any other.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

"fairways and greens, Martin. If you shoot even par today, no one beats you. Just don't beat yourself."

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Does Kaymer have kids? I haven't even seen a shot of a girlfriend/spouse.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A blah week. Pretty much over by Friday, no pizzazz at the top. No real pushes from the back. Got lost in the shuffle of the Cup Final and the World Cup. One of the most boring Opens in a couple of decades. And farewell to Johnny Miller and NBC on the Open. Really looking forward to Chambers Bay next year (but not so much Joe Buck breaking in as a golf announcer for the first time).

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So we got that goin' for us ... which is nice.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

After 20 Opens ... maybe you're right. Never really bothered me, though the fact every shot should have been made, every chip from 120 and in be sunk and everyone is a choker got old.

Though he's got one of the best sports analysis in the moment of all time.

2006. Winged Foot. Phil.

"This is a nightmare, right here, absolutely. He could not have made worse decisions than he has had on this hole. I know you love Phil, but come on, you just have to make par on this hole. You don't have to run down the last stretch on a white stallion, you know, you could limp in there and say, 'Thanks for the trophy.' "

Now THAT was frickin' brilliant.

Awaiting glowing golf balls on Fox so we can see where it's going.

Draft saved Draft deleted