1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 U.S. Open running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jun 11, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Seriously? Can we dispense with the obvious slander?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I shudder to think what the USGA will do to toughen up the course next year if Kaymer finishes the weekend double digits under par.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, that was brought up after McIlroy tore up Congressional in 2011. I don't know how serious he was, but USGA executive director Mike Davis, in an interview on ESPN on Friday, said he was pleased with the way the course was playing.

Historically, scores tend to get higher on the weekend. Kaymer is playing superbly now, no real weakness in his game Thursday or Friday. But Saturday is the big test. If someone can get within three shots, then Sunday could be interesting.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As with McIlroy's win, the USGA knows, or ought to know, anyway, it can't control weather. The rain Thursday night left the greens soft enough so that a guy playing exceptionally well, like Kaymer, could hit his targets. It still takes the exceptional play, though. The cut was five over, so it's not like the field was tearing up the pea patch.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I didn't watch every minute the last couple days but when I was watching, I didn't think Berman was obnoxious. You can tell he doesn't follow the game regularly but he didn't detract from the broadcast. Shocking, I know.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

23 players have played at least one hole and 21 of 'em are over par for the day. I'd bet the pin placements have tightened a mite.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Love the fact that more and more courses are including a short (less than 350 yards) par 4. No. 7 today is 315 yards, giving players an option to try to drive the green. With so much emphasis on club technology and hitting it long, I love mixing in a short hole.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree with Michael regarding the course and the USGA. If half the field were under par, they'd be pitching a fit. But when it's just one guy, I think you can tip your hat to good play and gives them a chance to say (to people like me): "See, it isn't unfair after all."

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Kaymer bogeyed No. 2 -- his first in ages.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

All because he missed the fairway. That does seem to happen to anyone.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Kaymer in the woods off the tee on No. 4. Now starts getting a bit interesting.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If this keeps up, given that it's Pinehurst and Payne Stewart country, let's all be careful with our "crash and burn" analogies, shall we?

Draft saved Draft deleted