1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 U.S. Open running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I like it. It's Pinehurst No. 2. What it looked like in 2005 was someone who usually keeps the grounds at Augusta trying to implement that philosophy on Pinehurst.

It's what it needs to be. Can you imagine someone filling in gorse and pot bunkers on the Scottish courses?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I would have bet a box of donuts Kaymer wouldn't be leading after the second round. True - he isn't like a lot of first round leaders who come out of nowhere (and quickly return), but damn another 65? Really sucks for those figuring they could still make the cut +8 or so seeing that -10.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The other guys have to go low today just to be able to get any benefit if Kaymer staggers a little on the weekend. Otherwise, he's gonna have to shoot at least one 80 to lose.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh well.

130 is the lowest 36-hole score ever at a US Open. It's really rare that someone separates themselves from the field. McIlroy at Congressional (2011) and Tiger at Pebble Beach (2000) come to mind, but normally the course is such that no one runs away and hides.

I really do like the new look of the course because if you miss the fairway you still have a shot to advance the ball.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A little disappointing for the papers close to the event who are blowing it out with special sections or wraps.

Four straight days of six-column Martin Kaymer photos on your front?

6. Michael_ Gee

Sucks to be them, but it's no picnic being Dustin Johnson right now. Two rounds in the 60s to begin an Open and he's down by eight.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'd be surprised if Kaymer shoots a huge number on the weekend. Maybe a 72 or 73, but I don't think he's going to give it all back. He's hitting the ball awfully well and putting awfully well. And, of course, he's got the cushion of knowing he can shoot for the center of the green and two-putt on every hole.

If someone can get to 5 or 6-under, maybe they have a shot. And that's doable on that course.

When Michael Campbell won in 2005, he shot even par 280. Looks like it will take substantially better than that this week.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Unless he channels his inner Gil Morgan...who got down to -12 in the third round before "closing" with an 81.

9. Michael_ Gee

There aren't going to be 30-40 mph winds at Pinehurst on Sunday the way they were at Pebble that year, Dan.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

True. But how many people would be upset if it were four straight days of six-column Eldrick photos?

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Posted it on the Rick Reilly thread, but it belongs here too.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/06/13/rick-reilly-compares-martin-kaymers-dominance-to-nazi-germany/

12. Michael_ Gee

Oh, dear.

Draft saved Draft deleted