1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 U.S. Open running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jun 11, 2014.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Did not see one started ... I blame Tiger.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There'd be more excitement if anyone thought Phil could win, but nobody does.

3. NFL-Solomon

NFL-Solomon New Member

The women get higher ratings. Shorter skirts and marginally shorter leg hair, I guess.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If Phil or Sergio are sniffing the leaderboard Sunday, I'm in.

Otherwise, bogey golf is godawful to watch.

5. Michael_ Gee

I feel exactly the opposite way. When these guys can't just go fairway, spin wedge to eight feet, putt, they're also playing more interesting shots.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm with you. I love watching these guys have to pull off shots they never have to even think about in most weeks.

That said, it bothers me when someone hits a shot that lands in what should be a safe part of the green only to watch it wind up in no-man's land.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's been a terrible year on the PGA Tour. Woods is out for the bulk of the season. Mickelson missed the cut at both The Masters and The Players. Rory McIlroy has been inconsistent at best.

Other than Matt Kuchar, Bubba Watson and Martin Kaymer, the winner's list is a bunch of names most casual fans have never heard of.

I'm predicting a first-time major winner, perhaps another Michael Campbell (who won at Pinehurst in 2005). Someone outside of the top 30.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

While Phil winning would complete an amazing feat (lifetime GS); something very recently unfathomable given his prior title as Best Player Never to Have Won a Major, his dreadful putting gives him almost zero chance.

What would be fun to watch is whether Speith can make a run, as in the Masters, or some other big name, (Rory, Johnson) makes a run.

More likely, someone like Mahan or Kuchar finally gets the magic trophy then recedes back into the background for the rest of his career.

What's cool to me is that the women come in next week for their US Open.

9. Michael_ Gee

Golf Channel, which is OK with the sound off, had a graphic with an interesting stat. It is well-known Phil has the most second place finishes in Open history with six. But who are the runner-up runners-up?
    The answers, tied with four apiece, are Bobby Jones, Sam Snead, Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus. Not a bad list to be on.

10. Of those guys, only won is without a trophy.
    Even without an Open win, Phil is in good company.

11. Key

Key Well-Known Member

What's anyone think of the course changes? I like the look of the waste areas, even if it seems like a copycat of Whistling Straights. Still, I think the look is appropriate considering the surrounding terrain.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

But, when Mickelson is around, smaller boobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted