1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 Steelers Playoff Run Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 23, 2014.

1. ryanb

ryanb Member

So is this how we handle the thread? Put our posts on this one and the running one? Okay, so here's the response I posted to your point on the Week 17 thread.

I think you are underrating what Bell does in that offense. And his ability as a receiver is also a huge part of protecting Roethlisberger. How many times have they turned a potential sack into a big play because Roethlisberger dumped it off to Bell, who then made something out of nothing. I don't know the numbers, but it is a significant percentage of those 81 pass receptions. Bell may have done nothing as a runner in the win over the Ravens Nov. 2, but he caught five passes for 38 yards and a touchdown and he helped pick up the blitz. Archer can catch, but he can't do what Bell does after he gets the ball. Not even close. That was something the Steelers' offense had been largely missing for a long time. Mendenhall could catch, but wasn't great at it. Before that, you had Willie Parker and Jerome Bettis as feature backs and they were useless in the passing game.

Regarding blitz pickup, we've already seen that Archer is terrible. We really don't know what Harris can do as a receiver or blocker. I do think it was interesting that the Steelers went with more two-back sets, putting Will Johnson at fullback. I'm guessing we will see more of him if Bell is out because he is their best option in blitz pickup and as a receiver out of the backfield.

I don't like the Steelers' chances of even getting past the Ravens without Bell given what he means to the offense as a runner, blocker and passer. I certainly don't see them beating the Patriots without him. The defense is playing better of late, but I still think they are going to have to win at least one playoff game 42-35, or some similar score, to get to a Super Bowl. That isn't happening without Bell. It is just too easy for teams to attack Roethlisberger without his ability to pick up the blitz and the threat of him catching the ball and turning it into a big play.

2. I think they can beat the Ravens without Bell. Obviously, chances are much, much better with him in the lineup.
    My concern there is aside from winning - getting out of the game healthy. No injuries to Roethislisberger, Brown, Bell and other key players.
    I'm not underrating Bell. He's team MVP no question for the things you point out.
    Just highlighting my concern; his absence increases the danger for Roethlisberger.

The way the refs let the teams play last night I can see more injuries piling up.

I think Archer is terrible all the way around. He's a crappier version of Chris Rainey.

3. ryanb

ryanb Member

That is a good comparison for Archer. He has straight-ahead speed and nothing else going for him. He is frail and has no ability to make defenders miss. The question is how stubborn the coaches will be in forcing him into the game. They used him in passing situations Sunday, and that was a mistake. I would much rather see Will Johnson out there because he can pick up a blitz and he is actually a good receiver. He won't impress the stopwatch the way Archer does, but he is quicker than people realize.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Kinda defeats the whole point, doesn't it?

Regardless of Boom's original intentions, I must say I like the idea of separating Steeler posts from the rest of the NFL herd. It'd remove the annoying clutter from the main NFL threads that has made them so hard to read over the years.

Of course that ain't gonna work if we've got posters cutting and pasting posts on both threads. One or the other, folks.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Original intention is how the thread has turned out. ( Much thx to Jeff for intervening)
    Your point is a good one- one thread or the other. If your post is a good one we'll find it.

6. But if we separate Steelers post from the regular NFL threads how the hell will the rest of you (dwindling as it is) know we are right?
    I like posting on two threads. I feel doubly important. Its like posting on two messageboards.

And ... what happens when the Steelers make the Super Bowl? Worlds collide with the threads?

7. ryanb

ryanb Member

I was kidding, Stoney, though I do understand why Evil did it and I followed suit for the same reason. I don't think it is fair or appropriate to push the posts regarding one team to a separate thread. They are part of the NFL discussion. If you don't like posts in a thread, why not just skip over them? I manage it and others seem to do so as well.

Boom, that just isn't true. This thread will mostly be read by Steelers fans, people who hate the Steelers or people hoping to see more of the garbage that Jeff deleted. They will not even be seen by posters who just follow the NFL. Posts about NFL games belong on the NFL thread.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

In that event we shall have a running Super Bowl thread in which all may permissibly post together. But, until then, I think it healthiest for all to keep your kind away from our kind.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The validation for any thread comes from participation. Some threads fail and sink to the bottom right away. Others take off.
    You don't know unless you start one. I'll be posting my Steeler thoughts here. If others are interested that's great. If not,
    so be it.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

So I can start a separate Colts thread for the five or so of us Colts fanbois on this board?

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And do you think I'm deadly serious about all this?

There's at minimum a tongue in cheek undertone to this whole topic, but also some logic/truth to Boom's underlying point. Seems like the vast majority of the pissing matches and problems on the NFL threads over the years have related to posts about, or involving fans of (one fan, in particular), ONE team: the Steelers. So it does seem like a logical way to instantly clean up those threads would be to separate posts about that team to elsewhere.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Separate but equal.

Segregation now! Segregation forever!

Draft saved Draft deleted