1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Not worried that Bryan has gone full heel. Punk joined the New Breed in ECW to implode the group from the inside and eventually sided with the Originals. Cena joined the Nexxus, sort of, and the group started falling apart. Bryan moves merchandise now, and I doubt The E is willing to jeopardize that too much. Then again, even Punk moved merchandise during his great heel run of late 2012 and early 2013. There are no true faces or heels anymore anyway. People like who they like.

I think it's a big picture story line, but I also don't believe this will be the end of the Wyatts. This group has a lot more mileage than the New Breed or the Nexxus. Also believe the same of the Shield, but the ship may be sailing after a year.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Tuscaloosa News did a Q&A with Jim Ross for the Alabama/Oklahoma Sugar Bowl later this week. Probably more of interest for me, but thought I'd share if anyone else wanted to read it. It's a good, light read amdist all the pre-game work being done by a fine sports section. I spent a few months as a part-time web guy about a decade ago when I was in college. The T-News folks are good people.

As a fanatic of both WWE and college football, particularly my Tide, I enjoyed it.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Huggy Jr. and I took in the sold-out (probably 8,000) house show in Toronto last night. It was a Christmas present for Huggy Jr. who was attending his first live event, was my first card since WM6. Decent night of entertainment for what we paid.

Pro-Cena crowd went nuts for Cena's DQ win over Orton in the main event. We got an awful, ponderous cage match between Kane and Big Show, Natalya got some pop from the Canuckistanis, pinning AJ in a non-title match, Sin Cara pinned Del Rio in an entertaining opener. Best match of the night for my money was Cody Rhodes pinning Antonio Cesaro. Zeb Colter got some great cheap heel heat by telling the crowd how happy he was to be in Montreal (guaranteed to get Torontonians going) and how the highlight of his trip had been a meeting with one of his fave politicians, Rob Ford.

For comic relief we got Los Matadores and their midget sidekick beating the loathsome 3MB, with the awesome Ricardo Rodriguez replacing Heath Slater.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

You, sir, are the reason I keep coming back to this thread.

Good call. Step 1 partially complete.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see where the Wyatts-Bryan thing goes from here. This is one where I have no idea what they have in mind. If they screw it up, it could kill a lot of the momentum Bryan has built up (BTW, I love that Bray Wyatt calls him by his real first name instead of Daniel, the WWE's made-up name for him). I hope he doesn't end up being the Perry Saturn to Wyatt's Raven.

6. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

This might sound a little crazy, but it seems almost impossible to bury DB. The fans have been revolting against the machine since the Sheamus squash. That fans are still cheering for DB so hard is entirely absurd. He's been squashed at WM, left at the altar, forced to go through group therapy, and screwed out of the title chase, and now potentially aligning with a cult of backwoods yahoos.

The only thing that really makes me feel like the E may still have big plans for him is the clean pinfall over Cena at SS.

7. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

it is wrong for me to hope that this bryan-wyatts stuff concludes with a beard-vs.-beard match at wrestlemania? bryan has been growing that thing for so long, the stakes would be as high as any title match.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Anybody else think it's possible Vince woke up one day, was watching some tape, and said, "Hey, wait a minute. The Wyatts have crazy beards. Daniel Bryan has a crazy beard. Why don't we form ... a CRAZY BEARD FACTION! Triple H, come in here!"

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Just pray that Vince hasn't turned on the TV in the last month or we might get "FUCKING SHIT HUNTER THERES THIS SHOW CALLED DONALD DUCK OR SOMETHING AND EVERYONE'S A BUNCH OF INBREDS FROM LOUISIANA WITH THOSE BIG BEARDS, LETS GET THE WYATTS TO PUT THEM OVER AT WRESTLEMANIA AND ALSO HIRE JR BACK TO MAKE HIM EAT DUCK SHIT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RING IM VINCE MCMAHON DAMMIT"

10. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

back in the day wrestlemania would often feature a hot pop culture figure of the moment--refrigerator perry, pamela anderson, for example. i could believe that this would set up some kind of duck dynasty cameo at wrestlemania

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Also: The next season of Total Divas just got a LOT more interesting

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I liked RAW last night. (I originally posted this on the other thread).

The opener between Punk and Rollins was fantastic. And I love the continued SHIELD implosion.

I wonder if Henry is hurt for real? Don't they usually do big spots/fake injuries when they're actually injured and will be out a while? Plus it gives Lesnar great heat for the spot and destroying Henry.

Intrigued at the Bryan-Wyatts storyline. Very curious to see how that's going to turn out. I do hope MMII is right about it. I always thought Kane was a double agent of sorts, but not working for the Wyatts, but for Daniel Bryan.

Draft saved Draft deleted