1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 Oscars Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jan 16, 2014.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Predictions
    12 Years a Slave
    Chiwetel Ejiofor
    Amy Adams
    Bradley Cooper
    Julia Roberts
    David O. Russell

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it does. In tone, it reminded me a great deal of "Argo" from a year ago - a crowd-pleaser for grown-ups.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Jonah Hill's nomination makes me smile thinking back to my favorite line from the movies this year:

"God, it's me, Jonah Hill ... from 'Moneyball.'"

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I could see American Hustle winning, I'm just not sure it deserves to win. I thought Wolf of Wall Street was a better movie.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I thought "Wolf" was about 40 minutes too long.

6. Mizzougrad96

I thought American Hustle seemed longer than Wolf.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I didn't get that, but that's natural. People vary. We'll see which way more voters leaned.

8. Mizzougrad96

Oh, there's no question American Hustle will get more votes than Wolf of Wall Street. Wolf is too dark to win Best Picture or at least, there will be enough people put off by the sex and language that it would seem highly unlikely that it would win.

I tend to think American Hustle will beat 12 Years a Slave and win. I wasn't implying that American Hustle wasn't a great movie, it just wasn't the best movie of the year, in my opinion...

9. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Thought Amy Adams was fantastic in American Hustle. Haven't seen the other performances yet but I think hers would be hard to beat. She carried most of that movie.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jonah Hill's dad has his own skills.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/richard-feldstein-375851

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I couldn't call anyone a lock when they're up against Meryl Streep and Judi Dench.

12. Mizzougrad96

Streep had one hell of a losing streak going until she won a couple years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted