1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 Oscars Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

WaPo planned ahead to be able to throw this up on Twitter so fast after the announcement. Great job in that regard.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Tom Hanks not nominated, nor was Robert Redford. I guess the voters went for Bruce Dern over Redford in the lifetime achievement category.

Meryl Streep over Emma Thompson is a bit of an upset as well. And no James Gandolfini in Supporting Actor surprises me.

Inside Lllewyn Davis also snubbed (they only used 9 slots for Best Picture), as was Paul Greengrass for director.

Full list:

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hard to say anyone was "snubbed" - just a lot of quality films out this year.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/39-american-hustle-39-39-gravity-39-lead-135255051--sector.html

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is Blanchett the biggest lock?

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I dunno. Leto has an outside shot for making a "Brave Acting Choice."(TM)

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Leto was fabulous. There's no way the Oscar people give him this. He's not part of the fraternity.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

She was great, but Amy Adams was also great.
    Sally Hawkins very deserving in supporting role in 'Blue Jasmine.'

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If not Leto, Fassbender? Playing a brutal slave owner? Hill? Playing a coked-up hound? The Somali pirate? Cooper?

10. Mizzougrad96

I think Leto is going to win.
    Normally, I would agree, but the Academy loves when a straight actor throws himself into a role like that. I think Leto will win.

11. Mizzougrad96

I think Best Actor and Supporting Actress are the toughest categories.

I read somewhere that Robert Redford refused to participate in any award promotion for "All is Lost" which I kind of rspect, but I can't help but wonder if it cost him a nomination.

One of my buddies saw an early screening of Nebraska and got 75 to 1 odds on June Squibb winning best supporting actress. I havn't seen the movie, but I've seen her listed as someone who could surprise in a few stories.

12. Mizzougrad96

I liked American Hustle, but it doesn't seem like a Best Picture winner.

Draft saved Draft deleted