1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs (predictions and discussions)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Apr 14, 2014.

?

Which team will win the 2014 Stanley Cup?

1. Anaheim Ducks

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. Boston Bruins

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Chicago Blackhawks

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Colorado Avalanche

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. Columbus Blue Jackets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Dallas Stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Detroit Red Wings

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  8. Los Angeles Kings

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. Minnesota Wild

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Montreal Canadiens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. New York Rangers

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  12. Philadelphia Flyers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Pittsburgh Penguins

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  14. San Jose Sharks

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  15. St. Louis Blues

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  16. Tampa Bay Lightning

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyEvfoZqKl0

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Not a chance. Cooke will be done. Seabrook's hit was bad, but I highly doubt the intent. For one, he is a first time offender, two, the exact same thing happened to him a couple of years ago and knocked him out for a bit. This was a case where Backes overskated the puck, shifted gears as he stopped to reach back for it, lowering his body position at the last minute, putting his head directly inline with seabrook's shoulder. It was a bad hit. Seabrook is responsible for delivering it and was levied with a reasonable suspension.

Cooke is a douchebag. I don't care how hard he has tried to change his game, it is difficult to completely change the way you play after a lifetime of playing a certain way. Call it a relapse, whatever, that is one of the more brutal kneeing incidents I have seen. Sometimes a knee can be a fluke thing where the puck carrier tries to jump out of the way at the last minute and catches knee on on knee, this one Cooke lined it up all the way and braced it. The book should be thrown at him. I see him getting the Torres treatment, and he should.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hilarious. Both that and the blog. :D

Fuck the Blues, and David Backes. It wasn't that long ago he was jumping Nathan MacKinnon for nothing, but now the Blues want to turn him into a martyr while saying the Hawks are gutless. Eat shit, St. Louis.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1 your basic sentiment.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1 Quick. However, L.A.'s done. I completely underestimated San Jose's speed and flow. Or overestimated the Kings' overall defense.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

As a Blues fan, I was disgusted by Backes' actions against MacKinnon. Just like I was digusted by the Blues' antics when they played Colorado in November, got up big and then Chris Stewart and a couple of other turds decided to start fighting everyone they saw in an Avalanche sweater.

Backes had an ass-kicking coming - I would have rather seen Colorado take care of things a couple of weeks ago when it all happened, but that's another story.

I'm just saying there is no moral high ground for either team to take in this series. Add to the Seabrook hit the stickwork by Duncan Keith in Game 2, plus the knee-on-knee stuff from Bickell in that same game, and I'm not ready to sit back and say the Blackhawks are the moral compass of the NHL, righting wrongs done by others earlier in the season.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm not saying that either but, unlike the Blues, they're not moralizing out loud about what other teams are doing and saying.

As for Backes getting what was coming to him, it didn't necessarily need to come from the Avs. Karma, baby, yeah.

Does that mean Seabrook may get a dose of it too? He may. That's life.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

Definitely. I wish the Blues would shut up and play the game. Shit, that hit on Backes is the only thing keeping their season alive right now. Without that, Chicago wins Game 2, is now up 2-1 and could go up 3-1 at home tonight.

And the Hawks aren't moralizing out loud because they really don't have much to moralize about now. Toews rubs plenty of opponents the wrong way. If he goes down with a hit like the one Seabrook laid out the other day, I'm guessing we'd be hearing quite a bit about dirty play from them.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Blues sound like they play The Cardinal Way.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Maybe. Then again, it's all about gamesmanship, as Barnaby points out. The Blues want to make themselves look sympathetic and hard done by. If something happens to Toews, maybe the narrative shifts.

All I know for sure is that winners win, any way they can. The Hawks obviously know how to win - I guess we'll find out if the Blues do too.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sort of. Unlike the Cardinals, the Blues have never won a damned thing of note.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

No argument there.

Draft saved Draft deleted