1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs (predictions and discussions)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Apr 14, 2014.

?

Which team will win the 2014 Stanley Cup?

1. Anaheim Ducks

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. Boston Bruins

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Chicago Blackhawks

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Colorado Avalanche

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. Columbus Blue Jackets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Dallas Stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Detroit Red Wings

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  8. Los Angeles Kings

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. Minnesota Wild

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Montreal Canadiens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. New York Rangers

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  12. Philadelphia Flyers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Pittsburgh Penguins

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  14. San Jose Sharks

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  15. St. Louis Blues

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  16. Tampa Bay Lightning

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Monster win by the Blues, without Oshie and scoring in the final 2 minutes of regulation to tie it and then winning it in the third OT.

I still say Oshie has to come back ASAP for them to have a chance to win the series. And I don't think he does return during this series. That hit he took was brutal, and with the concussion symptoms, I don't see him making it back anytime soon.

Hitchcock will trot him out during some optional skates to keep everyone guessing, but I think that's as far as it goes.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

With his teeth.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If the Rangers beat the Flyers--and I hope they do--they won't get out of the 2nd round against Penguins. And the Pens won't beat Boston in the Eastern Final

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's strange. New York seems to have the Flyers' number. But Philly seems to have Pittsburgh's number. Philly has a chance to beat NY if they get Steve Mason back in goal. Ray Emery? Not so much.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Tough loss for the Wild last night in Colorado. Led 4-2 early in the third. Paul Stastny scores with 13 seconds left to tie the game and then scores again in overtime for the win.

Ironically, Patrick Roy's last game as a player was an overtime loss to Minnesota in the 2003 playoffs at the Pepsi Center. His first playoff game as an NHL head coach is an overtime win over Minnesota at the Pepsi Center.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Getzlaf Kid No. 3 arrived shortly after midnight. He said last week that if there was conflict with the childbirth and a playoff game, he would miss the game (saluted for that).
    My wife is now worried that the new baby pictures will be ruined by dad's ugly mug.
    Looks like it all worked out.

In other issues: Are all the Red Wings healthy yet so they can start that series?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, I didn't get that. If they wanted the Boston/Detroit game on NBC Sunday so bad, make it Game 3.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There's not one thing ironic about that at all.

Look at this so you know exactly what irony is and you can apply it properly:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/the-greatest-moments-in-the-history-of-irony

And Erik Johnson saved the Avalanche's bacon by sprinting to the other end of the ice to make an amazing save on a would-be empty-net goal with a minute and a half left. Then Stastny ties it -- after the Avalanche pulled the goalie with three minutes left.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Coach Q should know better than to grab his nut sack like that. ;D

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You would think Bruce Boudreau would learn from his past playoff experience, but I guess not. Here he goes again benching his top goalie for an untested guy, just like he used to do in Washington. Ducks were a bit lucky to win two one-goal games at home against Dallas, but I have no confidence in them to make a long playoff run. Still a one-line team.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't get to see much regular-season hockey, but since when did the puck simply crossing the goal line mean icing? Did they really go to the wimpy college rule?

Draft saved Draft deleted