1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NHL Hall of Fame inductees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rainman, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

The NHL as just announced the inductees of the 2014 NHL Hall of Fame:

Dominik Hasek
    Mike Modano
    Peter Forsberg
    Rob Blake
    Pat Burns
    Bill McCreary

What a class.

So happy for Pat Burns.

2. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Wow, Forsberg going in makes me feel very old.

3. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

Did Pat Burns' coaching resume improve since he died?

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I personally think Burns is overdue. This is an outstanding class and I feel privilidged to have watched them.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Great pucksters and even better people.

6. maberger

maberger Member

love this class.

i might have held hasek just because of his altercation with jim kelley.

love rob blake in -- one of top three D of his time, and only pronger was his equal physically wile being in the neighborhood skill-wise.

still think lindros is a HHOfer, but if not now, when?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Hasek was the best goalie of that era by far, and might be the best ever. Who cares about his incident with Kelley.

Lindros should have been in before a lot of people who have gotten in recently, he was dominant with the Flyers before his concussions.

8. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Better than Roy and Dryden?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

IMO, yes.

I will never denigrate the other two which usually happens when this stuff starts but Haseks save pct in the 90's compared to the rest of the league is bigger than any other time in history. His teams in Buffalo weren't close to what either of those two great goalies had either. He simply dominated. He's Pedro Martinez in his dominance.

But the other two were brilliant as well.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

It's impossible - or at least extremely difficult - to compare Hasek and Dryden. Dryden retired 14 years before Hasek became a starter, and the eras each played in were completely different.

Dryden won six (I think) Cups to Hasek's one, but Dryden played behind the 1970's Montreal Canadiens while Hasek played behind Pat Lafontaine, Alexander Mogilny and 18 guys named Randy Burridge.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You're right, comparisons of eras are next to impossible.

I think what Hasek did in Nagano was as spectacular a performance as you will ever see.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Well Hasek isn't the guy who gave up 7 goals in game 7 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals.

Speaking of 2002, that brings it to 7 players from that Red Wings team in the Hall with Lidstrom making it 8 next year.
    The '57 Habs have 9 in the Hall.

Draft saved Draft deleted