1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Low bar, there.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Ha ha ha ha. A real Rex Ryan kind of player.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/11271081/dee-milliner-new-york-jets-says-best-cornerback-nfl

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Tough offseason if you're an Indianapolis Colt who doesn't keep his nose clean. First LaVon Brazill is suspended for a year because of drug use, and now Chris Rainey is cut because of "violation of team rules."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11274998/indianapolis-colts-release-chris-rainey-rules-violation

Boy, I feel for that guy from the Colts who caught in the offseason driving under the influence of opioids while he had pills and a trash bag filled with cash, and is going to have to testify in a custody case about being a drug addict around his girlfriend's kids. I bet he's really going to get it.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

No sympathy for guys who are given multiple opportunties the majority of us would never get and throw them away out of stupidity. Irsay's nonsense doesn't absolve them of responsibility for their own lives.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Why couldn't they just beat their wives like normal, decent people?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Chris Rainey? Man, who saw that coming?

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Always stunning when those Florida players get in trouble. :D

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Of course Niner fanboi here; I feel very fortunate to have Kaep at QB; guy was a 2nd rounder when boring Alex Smith was under center and there were thoughts of Dalton being better in the draft (not to mention Gabbert, Ponder, Locker getting picked before him). Niners made a great pick getting him and they are set for a while there. Knocking him on his completion % is not really fair when he basically had one wideout target most times (Crabtree and ?? Kyle Williams; Boldin and ?? no one until Crabtree last few games). With Crabtree, Boldin and Stevie Johnson now, plus Davis, he's finally got a decent set of targets.

All that said, I've seen Wilson break my heart too many times to call him a "game manager." He's dynamic when needed and a legitimate star QB. I have all the respect for him and believe that he's got just a bit more of that essence to find a winning play than Kaep right now. That's why he's a SB champion and Kaep isn't right now.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Kaepernick is surrounded by weapons from the outset this year. Crabtree, Davis, Boldin, Johnson. He should be expected to have a much better season.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Colts are playing it close to the vest as to why they cut Rainey, but given his past domestic violence issues, and the blowback on the meager Ray Rice suspension, you've got to wonder if something happened that made the Colts -- already girding for Jim Irsay's potential implosion -- not want to have a Ray Rice Jr. on the roster.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Wilson has benefited greatly from having Lynch. Not to take anything away from the job Wilson has done, but when teams prepare to play Seattle, the No. 1 focus is stopping Lynch. When teams played the Niners last year, they were keying on Kaepernick, which was probably the reason why Gore was still able to be as productive as he was last season.

Without question, Kaepernick has better talent than Wilson, but Wilson plays a lot smarter.

Kaepernick has no excuses this season, with Crabtree healthy and the addition of Stevie Johnson.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am not sure how it is without question that Kaepernick has better talent than Wilson. Wilson's talent is pretty damn high.

He is also, for this season, the greatest bargain in the history of the NFL salary-cap era. Even Brady got a nice little bump after winning his first SB.

Draft saved Draft deleted