1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 6, 2014.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

The flip side of the "Romo is actually great in the clutch" counter-narrative:

Andrew Siciliano ✔ @AndrewSiciliano
    Follow
    From @nflnetwork research: Romo has thrown 8 INT in final 5 minutes of 4th quarter when game is within 7 points, most in @nfl last 3 years.
    12:08 PM - 18 Dec 2013

Romo's lone interception Sunday was the 23rd fourth-quarter interception of his career. The Cowboys have lost the last eight games in which Romo has thrown a fourth-quarter interception, with six of those losses coming by seven points or fewer.

Since 2010, Romo's Total QBR in the first 12 minutes of the fourth quarter/OT is 80. That's second-best in the NFL behind Peyton Manning. However, his QBR drops to a below-average 44 in the game's final three minutes.

And he's not only making these mistakes as the Cowboys attempt to rally from late deficits. Eight of Romo's fourth-quarter interceptions have come with the Cowboys tied or leading by one score - that's the most in the NFL in that span (since he became a starter in 2006). Those give opposing teams life when Dallas should have been icing the win.

Also, check out his December numbers -- they are WAY below his career numbers. It's statistically his worst month for completion percentage and yards per attempt. Romo -- and by extension the Cowboys -- is great in November (though I was surprised at how poor his October stats are) and not nearly so good in December, when the games get bigger. His December rating is 89.7 compared to 95.8 for his career).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RomoTo00/splits/

2. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Practically speaking, I do not think much changes day-to-day with the team. Joe Ellis has been effectively serving as team president since the Mac days. As long as Ellis sticks to the business side, as he has since January 2011, and allows John Elway to handle all matters football-related, the Broncos are in good hands.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

joe king-
    You're using arbitrary endpoints with that three-minute thing.
    Let's save the argument for the season. I don't agree with you, and vice-versa.
    I would like to see the integration of a points-per-possession statistic for quarterbacks.
    That would be a hell of a lot more explanatory than ESPN's defective in-house statistic.
    (QBR had the 0-16 Lions' Dan Orlovsky rated higher than Ben Roethlisberger in 2008. Pfft.)

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Never a dull moment.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You'd need to use it to learn something first. All you know how to do is troll.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

And the creepy stalker sits next to his computer ready with a response.

7. outofplace

Amazing how much you can be wrong in one little post. I shouldn't be surprised given how often you do it.

I'm sure there are plenty of NFL fans who don't know. I'm not one of them. I'm simply trying to force the troll to show his work.

8. outofplace

Says the guy who is constantly sending me PMs whether I respond or not.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

You're mental.

10. outofplace

Truth doesn't sit well with you, does it? :)

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Back to your corners, guys. Don't ruin the thread.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted