1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NFL draft thread (no longer too early)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 18, 2013.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Re: (Way too early) 2014 NFL draft thread

Fair point. They both convert oxygen into carbon dioxide.

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Also, any mock draft done prior to the end of the season (or more accurately, until after the Combine) isn't worth the time it took to create it or to read it.
    I don't put any stock into mock drafts done prior to March because so much changes between December and April.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If healthy, and this is a big if, Manziel will be a very successful NFL QB.

4. amraeder

Mizzou, (and anyone else who covered/covers the NFL) since you've likely talked to infinitely more NFL GMs, I'm curious for your input on how important the combine is the setting draft boards.

I heard Ted Thompson talking about it last year and he basically said something along the lines of "We set our board, then go to the combine. After the combine, we make changes. Then we go back and watch the kids on tape, and set our board again. By the end, it's basically the same as it was before the combine. The combine performance, in the end, has very little impact."

He also said, as a result, that he thought the interviews were the most important part of the combine, b/c they wouldn't necessarily get overridden by watching the tape.

It just made me wonder if that was a wide-spread attitude, or if he was an outlier.

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Evaluating players and ranking them is one thing, but draftniks coming out with a mock draft two to three months before the draft order is even sent is something completely different.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think this is the norm. It's definitely the norm now since three of Ted's assistants are now GMs in Seattle, KC and Oakland.

I don't think GMs put as much stock in the combine as people seem to think. I think the Pro Days are more important. Obviously, if someone was pegged as a first-round receiver and he runs a 4.6 at the combine, that's going to hurt him, but I think the portion of the combine that the GMs pay the most attention to are the interviews and checking out past injuries...

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's a discussion board, mate. People post all sorts of varying opinions. You are certainly welcome to state yours without launching into personal attacks.

8. Re: (Way too early) 2014 NFL draft thread

The primary function of the combine for teams is medical information. That's the thing they care most about when they get there.

After that, the chance to interview so many prospects (the official and unofficial ones) are next. The workouts take a distance backseat to both of those things and only really hurt or help a kid if he does something out of the norm (i.e. shows up way out of shape and runs slow which is more a reflection of character/work ethic than football ability).

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So what would you have a team in dire need of a QB do. Just pass on a guy like Bradford or Stafford or Luck and draft a lineman with the top pick and hope to get lucky in the fifth round on a guy like Aaron Murray? These first-round picks are generally regarded as can't-miss guys, but the reality is they miss very often, for various reasons. Either they don't get good enough coaching, they don't get enough time to learn from their mistakes or they have shitty talent around them. And considering the teams that are ALWAYS in dire need of a QB, it's usually all of the above. And that's not a coincidence.

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Serious draft question. Two worst teams in the league have the same sucky record. They never played one another this season. What is the tie breaker?

11. amraeder

Strength of schedule, I believe. The worse strength of schedule gets the higher pick.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah. It's much more expensive to swing and miss on a quarterback than a player at some other positions.

Take Trent Richardson, who Cleveland drafted either No. 3 or 4 (can't recall) a couple of years ago. New regime comes in and they don't like him. They were damn lucky they could convince Indianapolis to give them a No. 1 pick in return for him. Obviously, big difference of opinion on the guy. Indy saw something in him that Cleveland did not.

As for quarterbacks, I realize that supply and demand seems to dictate that about 1/3 of the teams in the league will, at any given time, be wishing for an upgrade. That's not just at quarterback, but we seem to focus more attention on it than needs at other positions. My point --- and I've been saying this for several years now --- is that there are very few QBs coming into the league who are ready to step in and start and make a major contribution immediately. Stafford and Bradford are average QBs who are being grossly overpaid. The QB does not need to always be the highest paid player on the team. Could the Lions and Rams get similar results for half the price? Yes, I believe they could.

Draft saved Draft deleted