1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NFL draft thread (no longer too early)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Figure it's time. The bigger names should start to enter the pool in the next few weeks.

Todd McShay's first mock draft (released today) has the Top 5 thus:

1. Houston --- Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

2. St. Louis (from Washington) --- Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

3. Oakland --- Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida

4. Jacksonville --- Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

5. Atlanta --- Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Re: (Way too early) 2014 NFL draft thread

I'd love to see the Falcons get Clowney, wherever they wind up picking. And would love to see Minnesota get Aaron Donald from Pitt. But a lot depends on a team's needs at what position.

I don't think any of the QBs are worth a top five pick this year. I love Bortles from Central Florida, but he's a junior and might go back to UCF. Bridgewater has said he's not sure what he'll do, either, but he's got his degree already and I expect he'll go pro.

You know, it strikes me as odd how a bad team has a need at QB and immediately assumes whoever is coming out that year is the next Joe Montana. Then they pay them an ungodly amount of money --- like the Lions did with Matthew Stafford or the Rams with Sam Bradford --- and assume the problem is solved. Five years later, they're back in the same boat.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Clowney is at best a third-round pick on account of being a jerky jerkface.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bortles, huh? Looks like the NFL GM trolls are trying to get someone to bite. He's better than Mariota, anyhow.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

At least with the slotted salaries now for draft picks, there are no more whopping JaMarcus Russell or Bradford contracts that kill a team (see Raiders).

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I thought Mariota had already said he was going back to Oregon. Did something change?

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He has apparently submitted paperwork to the draft advisory board (which isn't binding), even though he said he's coming back.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24380057/after-stating-intention-to-return-to-oregon-mariota-requested-grade-from-nfl

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

He submitted the paperwork the day after the Oregon-Oregon State game. He still says he's coming back.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Blake Bortles is not the name of a winning NFL quarterback. It just won't work. In retrospect, Blaine Gabbert isn't a winning name, either. Joe Flacco, Matthew Stafford, Tom Brady - those are names you can set your watch to.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Babe Laufenberg thinks your theory is ridiculous.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen Bortles in any mock drafts until this week. The CBS Sports guys have him in theirs. And now McShay.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Two of the greatest quarterbacks ever were named Sid and Otto.

Draft saved Draft deleted