1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NBA Playoffs thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The official cause, per the Lake County, Ill., coroner, was "natural causes" -- heart attack.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wizards have something going.

Imagine a Finals with the Clippers v. Wizards.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

What the Wizards have is a backcourt combo that blows the Bulls out of the water. Hinrich and Butler can't keep pace with Beal and Wall. Augustin is scoring, but he's not going to be able to guard these guys. This is the matchup where the loss of Rose really, really hurts.

Plus, you have to account for Boozer's annual playoff disappearance.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Woj reports Lance Stephenson and Evan Turner got in a knock-down, drag-out fight in practice before Game 1.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pacers-fight-each-other-on-eve-of-playoffs--finally-take-swing-at-hawks-in-game-2-062419341.html

Turner is a head case in his own right, but as much as I love Stephenson's game sometimes, there is a part of me as a Pacers fanboi looser that doesn't want me to watch the team give him a four-year, $50 million deal. His personality is still too up-and-down, he can be even worse than Paul George in playing heroball, and I don't think he's ever going to accept being Robin to George's Batman. The upside is still high on Stephenson, but there's still a considerable downside, too.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

" ... have something ... " in the sense they're building something good, it seems.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Stephenson's relentlessly irritable nature" is a very skillful euphemism for "what a fucking asshole."

Isn't Stephenson just an all-around bad person start to finish? Some criminal charges, plus no school wanted to touch him even for a year.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

People around the Pacers talk a lot about "Good Lance" and "Bad Lance," though often the way he plays is "FreeLance." He's produced way better than you could expect from a second-round pick, so he's a bargain at less than $1 million per season. But he also was a second-round pick because of his "Born Ready" diva-ness and his arrest record/general comportment, so once you start paying him $10 million, you could have bigger problems.

This isn't an excuse for Hibbert, because he's had all sorts of shooting and rebounding struggles independent of this. But it doesn't help that Stephenson refuses to pass to him, and seems to take particular pleasure in taking rebounds away from him.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Really? That is outstanding. I am going to have to catch some Pacers games and see Stephenson rip the ball away.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well, not just Hibbert. Once Stephenson got a couple triple-doubles early in the year, he decided to keep going for them. Actually, Stephenson is a great rebounder for a guard, in part because he's 6-foot-6 and 230 pounds. But he's not always one to get out of the way when a teammate has a line on a board.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

For the 1980's drama/thriller genre on here....whenever I see or hear Tom Thibodeau, "Benny" from LA Law flashes into my head...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Benny!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Trading for Turner has been the turning point in the Pacers' season.

Draft saved Draft deleted