1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NBA draft/off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 7, 2014.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Re: 2014 NBA draft thread

put LeBron on thevWizards and they win 4 in a row.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree in theory, but hasn't Nike paid certain athletes more if they were in the bigger markets? I can't imagine James would need that kind of incentive, but if the shoe company that pays him $20 million a year thinks they would be better served if he was in certain markets, he might listen.

I agree that it shouldn't make a difference.

3. Mizzougrad96

Where do people think Kevin Love will wind up? The latest rumor is the Kings want him and will take their chances that he'll re-sign with them after next season. It's a huge risk, but it was a similar risk that got them Chris Webber over a decade ago.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wasn't Weber already locked in for a few yeras when he was traded to the Kings? Love has only a year left.

5. Mizzougrad96

Webber had one or two years left when he went to the Kings. I remember it was a pretty big deal when they resigned him, but there was a lot of young talent around him. DeMarcus Cousins is a really good player and there is other potential on that roster, but this would be a pretty big risk. I would almost give them credit for trying to make the move no matter what, because it takes a risk like that to get a franchise like that competitive.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Whoever trades for him has a huge leg up on re-signing him because of the Bird exception, though, right? That sounds like a great swing for the fences for the Kings.

7. Mizzougrad96

I think the Bird exemption is a bit different now, but they could sign him to a longer deal for significantly more money if he stays than if he goes elsewhere. I think it would be a good swing for the fences. I've seen Love called a top 5 player. I'm not sure if he's that, but he's close. If you can get a guy like that, you need to try to do it.

8. Mizzougrad96

The other new Love rumor making the rounds is him going to Miami for Bosh.

That would nauseate the hell out of me, but would be a great move for Miami. I think it would take more than that to get the deal done and I'm not sure Miami has a second piece that it would part with and Minnesota would want.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'd be shocked if James goes anywhere other than Miami. New York would be the only other real option and why? That team has a long way to go. Miami is on top of the heap. What's there to gain by moving? Not like James is lacking for endorsements or anything like that. He's the biggest star in his sport.

Unless he decides to try minor-league baseball, I got a C-note that he stays where he is.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The days of NY/LA being a requirement to be a brand leader/superstar are gone. Sure before they had more papers and more media than others; but now? You can be a big player if you are in Madrid.

Miami is a big enough market for LeBron; why leave?

If Love is truly a No. 4 player, why haven't the Wolves been in the playoffs ever? Someone just said LeBron would carry a 4 seed by himself. Is Love at #4 that far from LeBron that he cannot even get a #8?

IMHO, I don't think an individual player can raise everyone that high, especially in the West; although 3-4 years ago don't recall the West being that loaded.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The west has been loaded for damn near 20 years.

12. Mizzougrad96

Love is a great player. James is an all-timer and unquestionably the best player in the game. Big difference.

You can debate the order of who the best No. 3 through No. 10 players in the NBA are. I'm sure Love is on that list somewhere, probably pretty high. Nobody is debating who No. 1 and No. 2 are. Those are the only players who can go anywhere and turn any team into an instant contender.

Draft saved Draft deleted