1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NBA draft/off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 7, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Re: 2014 NBA draft thread

FYI: Rookie contracts are two years, followed by two team-option years.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yup, then the key after that is it's restricted free-agency, not unrestricted. So if they sign a one-year deal to get to unrestricted the next year, they end up with a team five years from the draft. If, during restricted free-agency, they sign a long-term deal with another team because they want to get away, they run the risk of their original team matching. Hence, the sign-and-trade deal.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He doesn't have to go anywhere with players. He turns anyone into an instant contender, and if there's cap space there, he can choose any FA to come play with him - they would line up - and continue winning titles every year.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The talk about LeBron going back to Cleveland has one problem - would he really play for Dan Gilbert? Now if Gilbert somehow hires an associate of LeBron's as a GM or a coach known to be LeBron friendly...

5. Guy_Incognito

Is anyone taping Gilbert?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think you could put LeBron on the worst team in the NBA and they're no worse than a top 4 playoff seed next season as long as he's healthy. It takes a little more than that to be a title contender.

I think the issue is that he wants to go to a large market team. The Lakers are a mess he's not going to the Clippers unless the team is sold. I think he wants to avoid an inevitable Jordan comparison, so that might prevent him from going to the Bulls or Knicks.

The teams that are equipped to win immediately, Oklahoma City, Indiana... it would be hard to imagine him going there.

Brooklyn would be intriguing, but there's probably a reason this hasn't been mentioned. I'm assuming the Nets have no cap space after some of the moves they made a year ago.

Where else does he go?

7. Guy_Incognito

Did I miss the Jordan on the Knicks years?

8. Mizzougrad96

I'm not being argumentative, but who would fit that bill? I think after what happened to Byron Scott, Cleveland isn't going to be that attractive to a big-name coach, but might be able to hire a promising assistant or a re-tread.

I can't think of a Miami assistant who is particularly tight with James, but I might be wrong. I know James loves Mike Malone, but he has a job.

I know Alvin Gentry has been mentioned for the Cavs job, but I don't know of any connection he has with James.

9. Mizzougrad96

If James went to the Knicks, how often would Phil Jackson be asked about comparing Jordan to James?

10. Guy_Incognito

Fair enough.

11. Mizzougrad96

I don't blame him either. If I'm the best player in the NBA, I could do without daily questions about someone whose prime was 20 years ago. Obviously, those questions will come up a few times a season, but if he's playing in Chicago, or on a team where Jackson is the team president, you just have to know that comparison is going to be beaten to death.

I think he wants to play for the Lakers, but has realized that team is a far cry from the Jerry Buss Lakers.

12. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

He doesn't need a large market though. There's nothing Chicago, LA or NY can do for him that he hasn't gotten while in Miami & Cleveland. Market size really only caters to lower tier guys imo

Draft saved Draft deleted