1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NBA draft/off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 7, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's kind of interesting to me that the No. 1 pick in what was considered to be the greatest draft in a long time and one of the greatest ever, has to be packaged with the No. 1 pick from the year before and another pick for one player who's never led a team to the playoffs.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Glenn Davis for Schilling, Harnish and Finley. Davis was established, Schilling et al were major leaguers but not established.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how that lineup looks "not too horrible" and capable of pushing for a playoff spot this year.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

At this stage there is no question Wiggins would be more valuable to a team with established offensive threats. Bennett, too.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

FWIW Billy Beane has been saying lately that nothing is more over valued than potential. Maybe it's self serving but I agree

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And there is a reason the "best" prospects are typically in A ball.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, overvalued prospects is the new "Moneyball," some believe. That's why the Rays got so little for Price, a guy who would have fetched 2-3 Top 50 prospects just a few years ago.

And it's why the Athletics trading Russell and McKinney for Samardzija and Hammel was so surprising. Because no one else would be willing to do that.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I mean to me, it's all relative, and it's a matter of balancing risk and reward, and a player's floor vs. his ceiling. At worst, Wiggins is probably a Tony Allen-type player; maybe not the world's greatest offensive game, but athletic, and he should be a very good defender. If his offensive game comes around a little, then he's more of a Shawn Marion or Andre Iguodala type. If his offense develops fully, then he's a clear Top 10 player, someone like Paul George or Kobe who's a threat on both ends of the floor.

However, Love is an all-star level player (at worst) right now, and most think he's probably a Top 10 player in the league. Lebron is entering his 30s. To me, it's pretty much a slam dunk for them to trade Wiggins for Love, but I can at least see why some might be reluctant to deal him. (Wiggins doesn't just have potential on his side, but also a much more favorable contract.) Likewise, I could see why Joel Embiid was No. 1 on some draft boards and not others (the seemingly justified injury risk vs. the sheer value of a Top 10 big man), or in baseball, why teams are reluctant to trade guys tearing up A-ball (because every once in a great while, they do turn into Jeff Bagwell or Miguel Cabrera or Mike Trout immediately).

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Make an offer for Sam dalembert.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wait I thought that Wiggins could not be traded for 30 days. It had something to do with rookie contract. Wait till Adam Silver finds out about this. He's likely to void
    the trade.

11. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Trollolololol

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Maybe Dickey Simpkins or Will Perdue is available.

Draft saved Draft deleted