1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NBA draft/off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 7, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Re: 2014 NBA draft thread

I'd say O'Neal before Marbury and O'Neal's not getting in.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

See, I put O'Neal in the category of someone who had 5-6 really good/great years and then has been just OK ever since...

3. Mizzougrad96

ESPN is already blocking out programming time for "Andrew Wiggins: The Decision 2018" so he can take his talents to South Beach, Los Angeles, Chicago or anywhere elese after he spends his three years in Cleveland.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He has to be there 5

5. Mizzougrad96

As stupid as the idea was to rotate the No. 1 pick to every team every 30 years, I would definitely be in favor of something where you could only get the No. 1 pick every five years or so or maybe if you get a top 3 pick one year, you can't pick higher than No. 4 the next year.

6. Mizzougrad96

I'm sure you're right. For some reason, I thought Irving could be a free agent after next season, but that would only be his fourth year... So, I guess it's a three year guarantee but two more years before they can be free agents.

7. Mizzougrad96

It's funny, ESPN is going to get as much mileage out of this "LeBron returning to Cleveland" theory as it can. It was funny last night to see Windhorst basically say, "It will never happen." and then ESPN spending another several minutes speculating about a team with Wiggins, Irving, Bennett and LeBron.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You are probably right, 3 and an option. Too lazy to look it up.

9. Mizzougrad96

If I'm not mistaken, Eric Bledsoe is a restricted free agent this year and he's been in the league four seasons, so that would make sense... Three years guaranteed, team option, restricted, unrestricted. JC would be correct.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As a purely basketball matter decision, the Heat are going to have a hard time keeping it going after this season and LeBron would be best served by leaving.

Battier and Allen are basically done, Cole and Chalmers are average at best and everyone else is a below-average role player. And Wade is the big wild card -- I'm not sure he's got more than a year or so left as an elite level player.

11. Mizzougrad96

I think the problem for LeBron is, there is no real spot for him to go. I think consensus, at this point, is that he'll sign a one-year deal to stay in Miami and then hit the market in 2015.

If he truly wants no part of any team that isn't ready to win immediately, I can't imagine he goes to the Lakers and the Knicks can't afford him this year. I don't think he wants to play for NY because he doesn't want to deal with a constant Jordan comparison, even if Phil is in the front office.

Clippers? Not unless the team is sold.

There's really no decent fit.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the Heat take the title again this year, James'll be sure to stay. A four-peat is one thing Jordan never did.

Draft saved Draft deleted