1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NBA draft/off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 7, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: 2014 NBA draft thread

Ten games in the summer league will help his defense more than an entire season of whatever wisdom Coach K will be imparting and Parker will be testing against smaller, slower players who can't shoot as well.

I honestly didn't think people tried to use that "he needs to learn how to play in college!!!!!!!!!" trope anymore.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

how would a college team spend more time with a player than an NBA team?

Practice in the pros alone would make him a better defender tahn another year in college where he would be able to get away with being lazy on d.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I know you were only thinking of top five in rating, but the 1984 draft also had John Stockton at 16. Too good to ignore.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They were talking on PTI yesterday about how it was impossible to win a NBA title without a top 5 overall player. I think there is only one obvious instance where that wasn't the case (2004 Pistons), and maybe a few teams where they might not have had a top 5 player, but had a top 10 player.

I think you could safely argue that the 2004 Pistons are the only champion since 1980 that didn't have at least one future Hall of Famer on the roster and they have a couple who could get in, but are probably longshots. (Rasheed Wallace, Chauncey Billups).

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Were they talking about top 5 as in the five best players in the league, or top 5 draft picks? Because Rasheed Wallace and Chauncey Billups were both top 5 picks, and Rip Hamilton was top 10 (I think eighth).

If you're just talking about having one of the five best players in the league, I'd say the 2008 Celtics didn't have one (though they arguably had four of the top 20).

6. Mizzougrad96

They were talking about top 5 overall players in the NBA.

Garnett finished third in MVP voting in 2008. There are a few instances where it's debatable if a guy is a "top 5 overall" player, but if a guy isn't top 5, it's not off by much. The "Bad Boys" teams didn't have any top 5 players (Thomas was close...) but they had three Hall of Famers (not counting Dantley since they traded him) as well and two guys who weren't that far off.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Now declaring early: Mitch McGary of Michigan. Because he can't play next year after testing positive for marijuana.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/04/25/michigan-mitch-mcgary-nba-draft-tests-positive-for-marijuana/8142297/

8. Mizzougrad96

Spencer Dinwiddie declared yesterday as well. He was a first-round lock before he got injured.

With guys like that, you just have to hope they make a roster.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Those damn NBA thugs.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So I'm guessing about 70 players right now are leaving early convinced that they are going in the first round?

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Actually, 48, including international players. I include McGary, though this site hasn't updated yet to move him into the early-entry list, and hasn't moved the Harrison twins from "undecided" to "staying." There aren't too many more left on the maybe list.

http://nbadraft.net/2014-early-entry-list

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Sad news for fans of enormo college players: Sim Bhullar has declared for the NBA draft.

Draft saved Draft deleted